Photo of FuMO 26 Presentation Console

Warship design and construction, terminology, navigation, hydrodynamics, stability, armor schemes, damage control, etc.
hans zurbriggen

Photo of FuMO 26 Presentation Console

Post by hans zurbriggen »

Hello all,
I have got from a friend of mine this image. He says it contains the FuMO 26 presentation console where operator could read data coming from the radar.
Is anyone able to confirm and to show me "presentation" panel(s) and other equipment ? Does anybody know where this console was usually placed aboard German ships ?

FuMO Operator Console.jpg
FuMO Operator Console.jpg (42.74 KiB) Viewed 3605 times

Thanks in advance.
hans
marcelo_malara

Re: Photo of FuMO 26 Presentation Console

Post by marcelo_malara »

Duplicate
Last edited by marcelo_malara on Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

hans zurbriggen wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:16 pm Hello all,
I have got from a friend of mine this image. He says it contains the FuMO 26 presentation console where operator could read data coming from the radar.
Is anyone able to confirm and to show me "presentation" panel(s) and other equipment ? Does anybody know where this console was usually placed aboard German ships ?

FuMO Operator Console.jpg

Thanks in advance.
hans
HI Hans. May be the circular screen on lower left?
hans zurbriggen

Hello Mr. Malara,
thanks, however, I had read that GEMA radars were not equipped with a circular (PPI like) presentation screen but with 2 or 3 linear indicators (for range, bearing and fine bearing) but I may be wrong.

hans
fsimon

Post by fsimon »

FuMO Operator Console Displays.jpg
FuMO Operator Console Displays.jpg (45.47 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
I think this is where the A-scopes were displayed. The boxes in between look like the "Kippgeraet" for the "Radattelpeilung".
All this was placed inside the radar cuppola placed on top of the optical director cuppola in FuMG 40 G (gO) i.e. FuMO 26, or inside the combined optical/radar cuppola in FuMG 40 G (gP) i.e. FuMO 27. For destroyer or light cruiser this was placed inside the ship.
Best regards
Frank
Last edited by fsimon on Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fsimon

Post by fsimon »

FuMO 25 PE.JPG
(86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Prinz Eugen had a FuMO 25 in addition placed on a mast, i.e. without a cuppola. For this there was a "Geraetesatz" in a FuMO-room inside the ship.
This picture shows two windows on each "Beobachtungsgeraet". I think this includes the additional scale for "Entfernung fein", i.e. the extra scale for accurate range and fall of shot measurement or is the arrangement that includes the "Peilbeobachtungsgeraet" (PB), whereas this seems to be on seperate consoles on the picture provided by Hans, but I am only guessing.
Best regards
Frank
hans zurbriggen

Hello Frank,
thanks, can you confirm "my" image is related to a FuMG 40 generation radar or would it be more likely a FuMG 39 ?

hans
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

hans zurbriggen wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:58 am Hello Mr. Malara,
thanks, however, I had read that GEMA radars were not equipped with a circular (PPI like) presentation screen but with 2 or 3 linear indicators (for range, bearing and fine bearing) but I may be wrong.

hans
Hi. A circular screen need not to be a PPI. May be it was just a cathode ray tube with an A display.
fsimon

Post by fsimon »

hans zurbriggen wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:47 pm Hello Frank,
thanks, can you confirm "my" image is related to a FuMG 40 generation radar or would it be more likely a FuMG 39 ?

hans
FuMO-26 PE.JPG
(168.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hallo Hans,
this picture is out of the Trenkle book. It shows pretty much the same arrangement and says FuMO 26. So your friend might very well be right. It seems like FuMG 40. There is a third and larger display to the right. Maybe that is the one with the additional smaller scale for fine ranging. I am still guessing.

Best regards
Frank
hans zurbriggen

Hi Marcelo (If I may),
you are right of course: a circular screen is not necessarily a PPI, but I remember I had read about 2 to 3 linear displays for GEMA radars and last photo from Mr. fsimon seems to confirm that.

Hi Frank,
it looks same installation. Thanks for all info and supporting images. One question re. F. Trenkle photo of FuMO26 room: does author specify when photo has been taken ? I mean does it show FuMO26 in let's say 1942 (with "normal" antenna 4x2 meters) or late war FuMO26 (or even FuMO34) when Prinz Eugen had improved antenna (6x3 meters) ?

hans
fsimon

Post by fsimon »

hans zurbriggen wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:00 pm ...
Hi Frank,
it looks same installation. Thanks for all info and supporting images. One question re. F. Trenkle photo of FuMO26 room: does author specify when photo has been taken ? I mean does it show FuMO26 in let's say 1942 (with "normal" antenna 4x2 meters) or late war FuMO26 (or even FuMO34) when Prinz Eugen had improved antenna (6x3 meters) ?

hans
Sorry Hans,
it doesen't say when the photo was taken. But I have a feeling, that it was taken, when Prinz Eugen was handed over to the US Navy in 1945. But I am only guessing again, sorry.

Frank
Last edited by fsimon on Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

hans zurbriggen wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:00 pm Hi Marcelo (If I may),
Sure you may.