Two KGV's vs. Yamato

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
lwd

Re: Two KGV's vs. Yamato

Post by lwd »

Or not. If the KGVs are unlucky one hit could do it. If they are lucky it could take quite a few. It's hardly a matter of closing either. The would probably be better off engaging in a long range battle indeed if they knew how good Yamato's armor was staying at long range and firing HE might actually be their best option.
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

If they had HE shell on board to fire. Normal load out mid war was 95 rounds/gun of APC and 5 rounds per gun time fuzed HE for AA barrage. I believe the base fuzes for the APC could be set to operate with the pyrotechnic delay or without by simply adjusting a set screw before loading. Nevertheless, at neither setting would the fuze be initiated by impact against less than the minimum thickness of armour.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
tnemelckram

Post by tnemelckram »

Hi All!

LWD understands the nub of my plan well when he says:
It's pretty clear that barring luck little on the KGV's will keep out Yamato's shells. The question in this one is whether the KGV's can do enough damage to the parts of Yamato that are vulnerable to their guns to disable her before they in turn are disabled.
Even in victory - defined as picking away until you disable enough of Y's vulnerable parts to mission kill her, hopefully beyond practical repair - the KGV's almost certainly will get more than just their hair mussed. BTW LWD, I have been unable to find anything about Y's practical training angle (factoring in blast damage) for the fore main battery turrets. That's a huge unknown for the practicality of my plan.

There was a lot of discussion since my last Post about the historic problems with the KGV's main battery. My Plan's answer to this is if those problems actually crop up during this engagement, turn away out of range, keep contact, fix it, and catch up back into range and start pecking again.

Tommy raises a good point about the KGV's speed loss in tropical conditions. That, if true. would put the Scotch to my plan unless the Y was similarly impeded. You would find that out by trying my plan. If not, try another plan, or perhaps as they say on Star Trek, "the problem facing a starship commander wishing to engage battle is that battle is almost impossible to engage in the first place".
RF

Post by RF »

lwd wrote:It's pretty clear that barring luck little on the KGV's will keep out Yamato's shells. The question in this one is whether the KGV's can do enough damage to the parts of Yamato that are vulnerable to their guns to disable her before they in turn are disabled.
Another aspect to this are which pair of KGV's we are using. For example, Howe and Anson would have a better chance than say KGV itself and POW.....
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.