Two KGV's vs. Yamato

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
dunmunro

Re: Two KGV's vs. Yamato

Post by dunmunro »

alecsandros wrote:
This is a function of the integrated fire control system. On US and German heavy ships, the "stable element" mantained the guns and turrets at the level necessary for the firing solution to work. On Bismarck, for instance, the system was capable of compensating for a rate of roll of up to 15*/sec. Firing trials conducted aboard Prinz Eugen in 1943 proved that even performing 360* turns, the firing solution could be mantained.
RN ships also have a "stable element" as does any ship with a gyro integrated into the FC system:

note the gyro roll corrector.

Of course Bismarck's guns could only elevate at 6 degs/sec.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Isn't there a really big difference between a "Stable Vertical" and a "Gyro Roll Corrector"?
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Bgile wrote:Isn't there a really big difference between a "Stable Vertical" and a "Gyro Roll Corrector"?
There are certainly differences in detail, but both systems provide a vertical reference point so that gun orders are computed with reference to the vertical.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

dunmunro wrote:
There are certainly differences in detail, but both systems provide a vertical reference point so that gun orders are computed with reference to the vertical.
But in the RN battleships, until Vanguard, the firing solution was not automaticaly executed. We have talked about it less than 1 week ago.

And this is what I was talking about: automation of the turret training/ gun elevation.

My bad about Bismarck's rate of gun elevation.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

alecsandros wrote:
dunmunro wrote:
But in the RN battleships, until Vanguard, the firing solution was not automaticaly executed. We have talked about it less than 1 week ago.

And this is what I was talking about: automation of the turret training/ gun elevation.

My bad about Bismarck's rate of gun elevation.
Yes, but as we have discussed, a well trained turret crew using a follow the pointer system, such as this:
http://www.godfreydykes.info/Directors% ... t%20IV.pdf,
can achieve the same results by keeping their pointers matched. Even the KM system only provided automation in one axis as did Vanguard, so in the KM and Vanguard a sailor in the turret was keeping a training pointer, similar to the above, matched with the output from the FC computer.

I just reviewed this article, and it has some major problems:
http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-052.htm

for example stating that range and bearing was transmitted by voice, when every WW2 navy had electrical data transmission for range and bearing.

Some other glaring errors:

All RN ships with a DCT also generated a feed back loop to correct FC range keeping errors and many modern RN DCTs had Remote Power Control driven by the FC computer, just as in the USN.

RN rangefinders in the DCT were "not an afterthought" and the RN invested considerable time and effort in developing effective short base RFs. Testing by the US NRDC showed RN Barr and Stroud rangefinders to be excellent, and they were able to outperform US stereo RFs. NRDC testing showed German optics were not superior to US optics.

PoW scored the first hit on Bismarck at 21000 yds range.
In the 2nd engagement, PoW may have straddled Bismarck at 30,000+ yds, using only her duplex 15ft DCT RF for ranging. Bismarck was unable to effectively reply.

Of course there is no mention of the problems that the USN faced in trying to get their automated gun control systems to work reliably, or the failures that the KM experienced with their systems, nor the robust reliability of the RN's follow the pointer systems.
Thorsten Wahl

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

dunmunro wrote: ....
can achieve the same results by keeping their pointers matched. Even the KM system only provided automation in one axis as did Vanguard, so in the KM and Vanguard a sailor in the turret was keeping a training pointer, similar to the above, matched with the output from the FC computer.
I am sorry but the second axis in KM capitalships was also automated but in a different way as the USN did
see my post here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1145&start=900#p34581

and

Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

dunmunro wrote: , nor the robust reliability of the RN's follow the pointer systems.
THe ships and engagements discussed here are mostly KGVs.
--- I don't remember any "robust reliability of FTP systems" in Bismarck's last battle, nor in Battle of the North Cape.
--- PoW fired 73 shells at DS, scoring 3 hits, and that having the advantage of focusing on a single target. BS fired 91 shells, for 5-7 hits, on 2 different ships.
We have a 4% HP for PoW and a 5.5 - 7.7% HP for BS.

As for the 27km straddle by PoW on Bismarck, this was reported by spotters on board Norfolk. However, the spotters on board Bismarck said that the salvos (all 12 of them) fell way off (and so did Bismarck's).
lwd

Post by lwd »

alecsandros wrote: ... As for the 27km straddle by PoW on Bismarck, this was reported by spotters on board Norfolk. However, the spotters on board Bismarck said that the salvos (all 12 of them) fell way off (and so did Bismarck's).
Do you have a source for this? It's coming up enough that it would be good to be able to refer to something authorative on it.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

lwd wrote: Do you have a source for this? It's coming up enough that it would be good to be able to refer to something authorative on it.
From "Hunting the Bismarck", pg 126 - "PoW's fire failed to straddle the German ship"

Of good note is also the following quote coming from HMS Hood.org:

"24th May. - Fire was opened at Bismarck at 1846 at a range of 30,300 yards. The table was tuned to ranges obtained from the fore D.C.T. rangefinder and "fine inclination spotting rules" were adopted, each double salvo being spread one unit apart. Salvoes 1 and 2 both fell right; salvoes 3 and 4 were fired as a further line bracket and both fell in line and short. UP 800 was ordered and salvoes 5 and 6 were fired spread one unit apart. Both these appeared in line and over; the range was then 33,000 yards and check fire was ordered. Prince of Wales then turned towards and opened fire again at 1853.5, with salvoes 7 and 8 fired as a deflection double with the table re-tuned to the fire D.C.T. rangefinder. "Y" turret was not bearing after salvo 6. Again, both these appeared right, and salvoes 9 and 10 were fired as a further line bracket. Both appeared in line and short; UP 800 was ordered and salvoes 11 and 12 were fired spread one unit apart; 11 was observed right and 12 over. Fire was then ordered to be checked by C.S.1 as the enemy turned away and there was a danger of forcing him westward."

So the "straddle" wasn't plotted by PoW at all; it only came from accounts from Norfolk.

http://www.hmshood.org.uk/reference/off ... .htm#s1146
lwd

Post by lwd »

alecsandros wrote:
lwd wrote: Do you have a source for this? It's coming up enough that it would be good to be able to refer to something authorative on it.
From "Hunting the Bismarck", pg 126 - "PoW's fire failed to straddle the German ship"

Of good note is also the following quote coming from HMS Hood.org:

"24th May. - Fire was opened at Bismarck at 1846 at a range of 30,300 yards. The table was tuned to ranges obtained from the fore D.C.T. rangefinder and "fine inclination spotting rules" were adopted, each double salvo being spread one unit apart. Salvoes 1 and 2 both fell right; salvoes 3 and 4 were fired as a further line bracket and both fell in line and short. UP 800 was ordered and salvoes 5 and 6 were fired spread one unit apart. Both these appeared in line and over; the range was then 33,000 yards and check fire was ordered. Prince of Wales then turned towards and opened fire again at 1853.5, with salvoes 7 and 8 fired as a deflection double with the table re-tuned to the fire D.C.T. rangefinder. "Y" turret was not bearing after salvo 6. Again, both these appeared right, and salvoes 9 and 10 were fired as a further line bracket. Both appeared in line and short; UP 800 was ordered and salvoes 11 and 12 were fired spread one unit apart; 11 was observed right and 12 over. Fire was then ordered to be checked by C.S.1 as the enemy turned away and there was a danger of forcing him westward."

So the "straddle" wasn't plotted by PoW at all; it only came from accounts from Norfolk.

http://www.hmshood.org.uk/reference/off ... .htm#s1146
Thanks I had never read that PoW claimed a straddle but also all I'd read were internet accounts that didn't mention sources. It would be interesting to know just what Norfolk saw that made them think there was a straddle. When they said the salvo's were fired a unit apart exactly what do they mean? If they are talking about time increments it's one thing if some sort of increment off a table then salvoes 11 and 12 might appear and might actually have been a straddle. Also you stated something about German sources.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

alecsandros wrote:
dunmunro wrote: , nor the robust reliability of the RN's follow the pointer systems.
THe ships and engagements discussed here are mostly KGVs.
--- I don't remember any "robust reliability of FTP systems" in Bismarck's last battle, nor in Battle of the North Cape.
--- PoW fired 73 shells at DS, scoring 3 hits, and that having the advantage of focusing on a single target. BS fired 91 shells, for 5-7 hits, on 2 different ships.
We have a 4% HP for PoW and a 5.5 - 7.7% HP for BS.

As for the 27km straddle by PoW on Bismarck, this was reported by spotters on board Norfolk. However, the spotters on board Bismarck said that the salvos (all 12 of them) fell way off (and so did Bismarck's).

PoW fired 55 rounds at DS under DCT control:
http://www.hmshood.org.uk/forum/phpBB3/ ... php?id=985
so 3 hits = 5.5% under DCT control.

No KGV class BB is reported to have lost main armament function due to fire control problems, or directly from weather conditions:
http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/ ... amage.html
RPC is more vulnerable to damage than an FTP system.

I can't recall any accounts of PoW's 2nd engagement from a KM perspective.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

Here is the Norfolk report:

http://www.hmshood.org.uk/reference/off ... 09norf.htm

"1830 on 24th May
At 20,000 yards Bismarck fired on Suffolk. Her salvos fell short and had a large spread. She shifted her fired but Prince of Wales thought she was not fired at. Three salvos were seen from Norfolk to fall short. Prince of Wales' second salvo appeared a good straddle, and the range was over 30,000 yards."

As you can see, they thought the second was a good straddle...

=====
About German sources: The Baron's book says nothing about the ship being "straddled". Only that they exchanged fire with Suffolk and PoW, with no notable results.

Please don't get me wrong: straddles at that range (27km +) were certainly possible, especialy because of the very large salvo patterns. And PoW's may have straddled the German BB. It's just that I don't see any solid evidence to support this point of view ...
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

alecsandros wrote:
At 20,000 yards Bismarck fired on Suffolk. Her salvos fell short and had a large spread. She shifted her fired but Prince of Wales thought she was not fired at. Three salvos were seen from Norfolk to fall short. Prince of Wales' second salvo appeared a good straddle, and the range was over 30,000 yards."

As you can see, they thought the second was a good straddle...

Please don't get me wrong: straddles at that range (27km +) were certainly possible, especialy because of the very large salvo patterns. And PoW's may have straddled the German BB. It's just that I don't see any solid evidence to support this point of view ...
This is why I said "may have straddled". The point is that PoW was able to engage and range using her 15ft DCT duplex RFs, at over 30k yds.
lwd

Post by lwd »

So Norfolk only 20,000 yards away sees a "good straddle" and PoW over 30,000 yards away doesn't. If PoW "second" salvo is #2 in the quote above it's possible the from Norfolks postion it looked good rather than being off to the right. If it was #3 and #4 then or even in the above case PoW may have missed a splash or two that Norflok didn't. The case appears to still be open to me.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

dunmunro wrote: PoW fired 55 rounds at DS under DCT control:
Yes, I've forgotten PoW missed 20 rounds out of 74
Admittedly, this is not a FC problem.
I can't recall any accounts of PoW's 2nd engagement from a KM perspective.
It is not mentioned in the reconstructed log... And the Baron presents a sketchy picture (half page) in his memoirs...

The point is that KGV and DoY, on harsh weather, scored badly. IMO, this is due at least in part to a non-fully-integrated RPC (that is with servo-mechanisms from the AFCT to the turrets/guns, capable of automaticaly elevating the guns on to the necessary angle)