Fuso V Queen Elizabeth

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
Gary

Fuso V Queen Elizabeth

Post by Gary »

Lo guys, its been a while :cool:

How do you rate these 2?
Who would win in your opinion?
I'd be intrested to know what Fuso was actually like as a Battleship

Cheers
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
David89

Re: Fuso V Queen Elizabeth

Post by David89 »

At what point in the war does this battle take place? And what members of the QE class are used? The QEs during WWII can be broken down into two groups, Queen Elizabeth, Warspite and Valient, all of whom were heavily modernised, and Malaya and Barham, which where only lightly reworked from their original configuration. If you are using one of the modernised QEs vs a Fuso once the QE has been fitted with RDFC, then I would think the QE will win. Prior to their being fitted with RDFC this is a very close battle, with a slight edge to the Fuso. Barham or Malaya would probably lose to a Fuso.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi.

Sorry, I meant the Queen Elizabeth herself, I just went with the lead ship.

Fuso can put some poison in the air with her 12 guns but I guess it could boil down to fire control as you say.
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

I don't think the Fusos were all that hot; I'd put my money on the Royal Navy, in this case.
Shift Colors... underway.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

yellowtail3 wrote:I don't think the Fusos were all that hot; I'd put my money on the Royal Navy, in this case.
On the contrary, they were very hot (set ablaze to be more precise) :D

Seriously now, the QE had thicker armor over the vitals, and carried far more destructive guns (381mm L42, 890kg shell, vs 356mm L45, 670kg shell, IIRC). The Fuso on the other hand had 50% more guns, was faster (and maybe more nimble, though I;m not sure) and, in a night engagement, may indeed have had the edge over QE from 1941-1943, credit to the Japanese night-fighting training.
But, in a general, normal battle, I think the QE would beat the Fuso badly, with or without radar.

Cheers,
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

I doubt the Imperial Navy was any more competent in a night engagement than the RN.
RF

Post by RF »

I think the IJN was more competent than the US Navy, certainly in the first 18 months of the Pacific War.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

RF wrote:I think the IJN was more competent than the US Navy, certainly in the first 18 months of the Pacific War.

They may well have been, in some areas - but the did lose every carrier battle with the USN.

During the Guadalcanal campaign, losses were pretty well balanced, the diff being... the USN could replace theirs, the IJN could not. And the USN grew wiser & sharper, something that can't be said of the Japanese.

The IJN proved to have some very, very good destroyermen.

I think it was a case of readiness and training... the IJN trained very hard in the months preceeding PH. The US wasn't really on war footing; Japan had been for a while.

Fuso vs QE? The Queen wins.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

alecsandros wrote: Seriously now, the QE had thicker armor over the vitals, and carried far more destructive guns (381mm L42, 890kg shell, vs 356mm L45, 670kg shell, IIRC). The Fuso on the other hand had 50% more guns, was faster (and maybe more nimble, though I;m not sure) and, in a night engagement, may indeed have had the edge over QE from 1941-1943, credit to the Japanese night-fighting training.
But, in a general, normal battle, I think the QE would beat the Fuso badly, with or without radar.

Cheers,
Do you also think QE was more powerful than KGV for some of the same reasons?
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

You're not asking me, but I'll answer:
Bgile wrote:Do you also think QE was more powerful than KGV for some of the same reasons?
Nope. Compared to KGV, QE was slower, less well subdivided, and had a LOT less armor. Firepower roughly comparable, though less secondary. I'll guess - just a guess - that their FC suites were comparable, since QE was modernized about the time KGV was built?

So, no QE over KGV. But over a Fuso? Yes.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

yellowtail3 wrote:You're not asking me, but I'll answer:
Bgile wrote:Do you also think QE was more powerful than KGV for some of the same reasons?
Nope. Compared to KGV, QE was slower, less well subdivided, and had a LOT less armor. Firepower roughly comparable, though less secondary. I'll guess - just a guess - that their FC suites were comparable, since QE was modernized about the time KGV was built?

So, no QE over KGV. But over a Fuso? Yes.
I was simply pointing out the firepower comparison he made, which would apply to KGV since according to the statistics he quoted, she has less firepower than Fuso and therefore much less than QE. I don't necessarily agree but I was pointing out a possible inconsistency.
RF

Post by RF »

There is also the factor of the KGV gunnery problems, at least with the first two ships of that class.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

Bgile wrote:
I was simply pointing out the firepower comparison he made, which would apply to KGV since according to the statistics he quoted, she has less firepower than Fuso and therefore much less than QE. I don't necessarily agree but I was pointing out a possible inconsistency.
Well, KGV had different guns than Fuso (better ones). And the comparison was relative one: how much damage could the 670kg shells do versus 13"+ of belt armor, versus 890kg shells versus 12" of belt armor.

Strictly in terms of firepower, the 10x14"L45 of the KGV weren't, IMO superior to the 8x15"L42 of the QE, at normal battle ranges and in normal battle conditions. But, when also taking armor into account, the KGV is a much stronger, overall, warship.

Cheers
RF

Post by RF »

...stronger, overall superiority - provided, as I say, the guns are working properly.
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

Alright, I'm calling this to a vote: A 1943 Queen Elizabeth, would likely scupper a 1943 Fuso. I vote... Aye.

All in agreement, say Aye.
All dissenters, make your case well...