Lutjens dies and Lindemann takes command

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
hammy

Re: Lutjens dies and Lindemann takes command

Post by hammy »

Caine mutiny -- Excellent account of life in a Flush-decker in WW2 . Good on USN officer training school and after , Fair amount of background on the Pacific war .

On my shelf , I definitely recommend it .
" Relax ! No-one else is going to be fool enough to be sailing about in this fog ."
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

yellowtail3 wrote:
RF wrote:
yellowtail3 wrote:Oh, I suspect there was gossip about it in the wardroom and in staterooms - and probably not complimentary to Lutjens. And the story probably get better, the more often it was told...

On The Caine Mutiny - the movie is a classic, but the book is far, far better. If you've not read it, get it & read it through - you'll thank me afterward for the recommendation.
I'll thank you now. :D I have no doubt the book is better and will get it ASAP.

I agree with your estimate of the ship officers' gossip.
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

Legend wrote:My opinion is that Lutjens was a Dummkopf. That is precisely the reason I materialized this theoretical situation.
I stand corrected. :lol:

I'm still undecided about Lutjens. He was certainly not one of the great admirals, though he would have been regarded as such had it not been for the rudder hit. What's the consensus about his earlier foray into the Atlantic? Did he get lucky that time?

I do think a heated disagreement about pursuing POW could well have occurred. And that if so, consequent gossip amongst the ship officers in the time left was not only possible but probable, even with near continuous battle stations. But hey I could be wrong about that, sure.

I am trying to decide which bridge i would rather take a time travel trip to for DS!

I don't believe for a second that Lutjens was too scared to open fire at DS, though. Maybe he waited a bit too long to order fire, maybe Lindemann's comment was misconstrued.
RF

Post by RF »

Djoser wrote:[
I am trying to decide which bridge i would rather take a time travel trip to for DS!
Thats easy Djoser. Prinz Eugen.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

Djoser wrote:

I'm still undecided about Lutjens. He was certainly not one of the great admirals, though he would have been regarded as such had it not been for the rudder hit. What's the consensus about his earlier foray into the Atlantic? Did he get lucky that time?
I think Lutjens was a very capable officer, with a good record, but not necessarily the best choice for Rheinubung, as discussed in my thread ''Marschall instead of Lutjens.''

Operation Berlin was successful within the parameters of the orders Raeder gave to Lutjens, avoiding engagement with the British and fooling the pilots of the Ark Royal into thinking he was heading for the Iceland/Faeroes Gap instead of Brest where he was actually going.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.