Another alternative Battle of the Falklands

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
RF

Another alternative Battle of the Falklands

Post by RF »

Quite simple - replace the WW1 versions of Scharnhorst and Gneisenau and replace them with a pair of Hipper class cruisers, say Hipper and Bliucher. Same result?

I am assuming that the Germans do fully engage and don't use superior speed to run away.....
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
lwd

Re: Another alternative Battle of the Falklands

Post by lwd »

Just giving it a quick look the German WWII CA's look like they would be on a par with the British BC's. Not enough of an expert to say anything defintive but I'd expect the Germans to do quite a bit better. The light forces might be significant in this one.
Gary

Post by Gary »

A Hipper Class Cruiser is probably nearly about as large as the WW1 Invincible/Infexible.
The fire control of the 2 Hippers would be superior.
WW1 Scharnhorsts 8.2inch shells were 238lbs compared to WW2 Hippers which were 269lbs.

If Scharnhorst/Gneisenau couldnt inflict serious damage on Invincible with 20 or so hits then I think Hipper/Blucher will need to register at least twice that number in order to softkill Invincible or to force her to retire.
Of course whilst all this is going on whats Inflexible going to be doing? :wink:
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
lwd

Post by lwd »

From looking at some of the 8" pk tables in navweapons it doesn't look like the CA's would have to rely on soft kills especially if they got under 20,000 yards.
Acording to wiki at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Invincible_(1907)
Invincible has a 4-6 inch belt which likely is not up to WWII quality.
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_8-60_skc34.htm
gives the German gun ~9.5" of penetration at 10,000 yards.
For comparison the US round which is slightly ligher and has a muzzle velocity 200 fps less is given the following

at: http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_8-55_mk9.htm
6" at 16,600 yards and 4" at 23,600 yards. At longer ranges Invincibles decks would be vulnerable to pentetration as well.

While the British shell weights in at over twice what the German one does the rate of fire is about 1/3 that of the German guns. If it were just the two BC's vs the two CA's I'd give the odds to the German ships.
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

There was a world of difference between the 21cm shell of 1914 and the 20,3cm shell of 1939. The later shell had much heavier piercing cap, more streamlined windscreen allowing for higher striking velocities, and considerably more advanced metallurgy. Penetration figures are given versus 1939 era armour, rather than that of pre-WW1, so one can assume that against the earlier armour, the shells would have had increased penetration compared to the 21cm.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
RF

Post by RF »

Gary wrote: Of course whilst all this is going on whats Inflexible going to be doing? :wink:
I had assummed that each of the Hippers would have held up one of the BC's. If one of the BC's was engaged by both Hippers then it could be in trouble, especially if engaged on opposite flanks as a division of its fire would not obviate against sixteen guns firing at three times the rate of the British guns - the other BC would have to intervene.

One other aspect - if we cut out the light cruisers on either side and made this just the four ships, then I would assume that the German commander, with no other vessels to consider, would use his ships superior speed in a long action to bring his torpedo armament into play.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.