What if Germany is allowed to retain her fleet after WWI?

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
Sergio

What if Germany is allowed to retain her fleet after WWI?

Post by Sergio »

Hello, if Germany had been allowed to retain her powerful fleet after the surrender in WWI what difference would it make in WWII? I'm thinking of upgraded Baden, Bayern, etc. The invasion of England might have been possible.
Tiornu
Supporter

Re: What if Germany is allowed to retain her fleet after WWI

Post by Tiornu »

If the surrender terms are so lenient, the invasion of Britain is never planned. In 1928, Britain and Germany sign an anti-Komintern pact as a hedge against the spread of Communism. Germany's economy remains relatively stable through the 1920's and 30's, and its democracy becomes stable. Eventually Poland, France, and Italy join the pact which becomes known as the European Union.
There are many possible ways to view this what-if. The retention of the German fleet is such a dramatic change that the ramifications cannot be predicted.
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

I think Mr. T makes a good point. A more lenient treaty and an intact and proud Kriegsmarine may have made Hitler's ascent less likely. But if he had come to power and if the old ships had been refurbished, I think the British Royal Navy would still have prevailed.
Ulrich
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Ulrich Rudofsky wrote:I think Mr. T makes a good point. A more lenient treaty and an intact and proud Kriegsmarine may have made Hitler's ascent less likely. But if he had come to power and if the old ships had been refurbished, I think the British Royal Navy would still have prevailed.
I agree, my be Hitler would never have gained his leadership in an good economical situation, without the humiliation of the Versailles treaty.
Anyway, Royal Navy, with more bases, more ships and more fuel, would have been superior in the same way.
"Wir kämpfen bis zur letzten Granate."

Günther Lütjens
RF

Post by RF »

One point worth noting is that losing your fleet forces you to start again, because you have nothing.

Keeping the short range dinosaurs from WW1 wouldn't really have helped the Reichsmarine/Kriegsmarine. Starting afresh is the better option for the 1930's otherwise the German fleet would, with its ''upgrades'' be as obsolescent as a large part of the RN proved to be in September 1939.

Can you imagine a 30 year old Friederich der Grosse at the Denmark Strait battle?