Action in the Med

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
Keith Enge

Re: Action in the Med

Post by Keith Enge »

Yes, "soft kills" could have been a problem for VV. However, to get the soft kill, the two British BBs would have to be getting hits on VV, doing so while taking damage from VV and doing little in return as they tried to close the range. That is why I mentioned that ammo supply would prevent VV from sinking both. VV would have to be expending ammo at relatively unfavorable ranges (when she could be getting more hits closer and still not be able to be penetrated). This gunfire at these longer ranges would be necessary just to prevent the British BBs from firing enough to get a soft kill on VV. I also don't imagine that VV could stick around too long anyway; British aircraft would likely to be arriving.
paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer »

Thanks again Keith,
I like your teminology 'soft kill' I should think a hit or hits from 15" shells would be anything but soft!
Keith Enge

Post by Keith Enge »

Soft kills are the generally accepted term for damage that eliminates the ship as an effective fighting ship but in no way threatens to sink her. Soft kills became increasing more prevalent as technology improved and navies depended more on that new technology. Unfortunately, much of that new technology was in sensors which couldn't be armored. So, if damage took out your radar arrays, you would likely be a soft kill in a night action. Directors and CIC losses could have the same effect in any action, day or night. In a battle against aircraft, if you took enough topside damage that your antiaircraft capability was crippled, you could be a soft kill (then a hard kill if more planes appeared). Aircraft carriers with damaged flight decks, elevators, or maybe even catapults were soft kills. Some would put damage to screws or rudders in the soft kill category because they won't cause the ship to sink. However, as Bismarck learned, soft kills could become hard kills if rudder damage couldn't be repaired quickly enough.