Are there any good computer simulations for this?

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
Djoser

Are there any good computer simulations for this?

Post by Djoser »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but does anyone know of any good computer simulations that would be good for testing the results of some of these hypothetical duels?

I used to work for a wargame company when I got out of college, but the computer simulation games back then were pretty primitive.

I would love to get a well-researched simulation program to test some of these out...
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

I suggest the computer game "Fighting Steel". It is supported by the web site at
http://forums.navalwarfare.net/index.ph ... 27edaf340d&

You buy the computer game, install it, and then apply their latest mod for more realism. It's the best computer simulation I'm aware of for that type of warfare.
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

Thanks, I'll check it out!
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

I have "Fighting Steel" and played all its scenarios and some ficticious ones too. And there are many problems (if we can call them that). The first is that when you play the Bismarck the 90% of the engagements the rudder jams! :stubborn: And if you play the Hood at least the 50% of the engagements it blows up. :evil: If you want to win make sure you use the Yamato and/or the Musashi. No Iowas in the pre 1942 scenarios. The game doesn´t take into account a lot of things and it´s funny if you take it lightly, but don´t believe it wil work O.K. as a good simulation.
There must be some other wargame better than that one.
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

Well, that does seem to be a problem with a lot of the games/simulations out there--though I have very little experience with computer games, I have literally hundreds of the paper map and cardboard counter variety.

Some of these 'games' are so complex they literally take far longer to play than the battles they simulate! Most people would rather 'play' with a rabid pitbull than actually sit down and learn all the rules, lol, much less 'play' them.

But so often, in a misguided quest for historical accuracy, the likelihood of the end result paralleling the historical outcome is too high. Especially in scenarios where luck played an important role historically.

Not to say that the Bismarck's gunnery wasn't excellent, or that those Swordfish pilots don't deserve every bit of credit they got--but you know if these situations were re-enacted, the results would be different much of the time.

But hell, I'd like to try Fighting Steel for fun nonetheless, even if the historical accuracy leaves something to be desired, and we might need to look elsewhere for an accurate means of testing the outcomes of our 'what if?' scenarios.

I went to the site, and I'm going back there now, but in case I can't figure it out again--is there a way to buy and DL the basic FS game? I saw you can download supplemental stuff in profusion (cool!), but couldn't find the basic game except in a CD/Rom format.

I'd rather not wait for the mail, lol...
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

The website for Fighting Steel, et al is temporarily down, but I did find a cool link for a highly recommended Pacific naval game/simulation, "Great Naval Battles III: Fury in the Pacific.

Here is the link...

http://www.combinedfleet.com/games.htm

Note that SSI has been around for a long time--I remember seeing their stuff way back when I was still really into the gaming industry years ago, and...

WHOOPS! (later) Got my companies mixed up! But look at this, anyway...

...note also the quote: "It should also be mentioned that SSG's work in artificial intelligence for computer wargames is probably the most advanced in the entertainment software industry." This is in reference to the "Carrier Battles" game, but still, it speaks well of the likely level of sophistication to be found.

I'm going to look at both companies' websites if possible, and see what else I can find.

WHOOPS! (later still) Apparently SSI is the company behind Fighting Steel! Still haven't found a downloadable version yet.