USS Arizona vs. Bizmark

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
yellowtail3

Re: USS Arizona vs. Bizmark

Post by yellowtail3 »

Arizona, when she outgunned everything in the German navy
Attachments
Arizona D.JPG
Arizona D.JPG (65.74 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
Shift Colors... underway.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Yellowtail;

Do you have that photo in HD?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:Yellowtail;

Do you have that photo in HD?
ah... I think so, but now I can't find it on my hard drive. Here's another, though -
Attachments
Arizona aft turrets.jpg
Arizona aft turrets.jpg (51.19 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Gary

Post by Gary »

Impressive, most impressive
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

yellowtail;

With all due respect: give me that photo!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

From my totally non-technical eye it appears that the relative turret size for the triple gun arrangement is smaller than the KM equivalent relative to the smaller KM calibre (11 inch guns) as the three gun barrels on Arizona are very close together, they almost appear pushed against each other, whereas on the pocket battleships and Scharnhorst the triple guns appear further apart?
I think on the KGV and Dunkerque class quad turrets the guns were also further apart?

Does this have any implication for loading and firing these guns?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

RF wrote:From my totally non-technical eye it appears that the relative turret size for the triple gun arrangement is smaller than the KM equivalent relative to the smaller KM calibre (11 inch guns) as the three gun barrels on Arizona are very close together, they almost appear pushed against each other, whereas on the pocket battleships and Scharnhorst the triple guns appear further apart?
I think on the KGV and Dunkerque class quad turrets the guns were also further apart? Does this have any implication for loading and firing these guns?
Your eye is just fine.
In Nevada and Pennsylvania's there is no bulkhead between the guns in the turret; all three share the same elevation gear, and the breeches of the 14"/45 triples were very close together. Interestingly - according to Navweaps? - the Scharnhorst's turrets weigh more than Arizona's triples (but they did shoot faster, with shells weighing about half as much)The following 14" battleships (New Mexicos & Tennessees) went to individually sleeved 14"/50s.

I've seen a photo of the 14"/45 triple turret interior, but don't know where. This is a still from film Here Comes the Navy, which was filmed onboard Arizona (there's James Cagney in the middle). This scene was actually filmed in a mock-up of the turret. Here ya go...
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index.jsp?cid=135414

I'm not absolutely certain, but... I believe the last time a 14"/45cal triple turret was fired, was one of Arizona's aft turrets in Hawaii in 1945. 99% sure.
Attachments
interior from HCTN mockup.JPG
interior from HCTN mockup.JPG (34.68 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

I don't think there is a bulkhead in the turret between guns on KGV or Bismarck, either. I think it's fairly unusual to have one, actually. I believe the French quads had one to separate the two halves of each turret.
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

Bgile wrote:I don't think there is a bulkhead in the turret between guns on KGV or Bismarck, either. I think it's fairly unusual to have one, actually. I believe the French quads had one to separate the two halves of each turret.
I'm not so sure. The only BB turrets I've crawled around in are Texas, Alabama, and North Carolina. There is a bulkhead between the barrels in the 16" turrets. I can't remember for the Texas, it's been a long time. On the AZ's triple, those guns were... extremely close, more one piece than three separate guns (they elevated as one). Wish I knew where that picture was (thought the movie still is pretty close).

I'm pretty sure the Japanese twin mounts had bulkheads between their guns. See http://www.fischer-tropsch.org/primary_ ... %20N-1.pdf

"All battleships were fitted with longitudinal flashtight bulkheads between the guns, and between the gun loading hoists in the working chambers."
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

I agree that the newer US ships at least had them. I didn't know about the Japanese. I don't believe the British or Germans had them.