Bismarck vs Sovietski Soyuz

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
tameraire01

Bismarck vs Sovietski Soyuz

Post by tameraire01 »

who would win this battle. The Soviets or the KM? The Soviet BB from what i found out had 15 inch guns in double turrets vs the Bismarck's 15 inch guns.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. Joseph Stalin
alecsandros

Re: Bismarck vs Sovietski Soyuz

Post by alecsandros »

tameraire01 wrote:who would win this battle. The Soviets or the KM? The Soviet BB from what i found out had 15 inch guns in double turrets vs the Bismarck's 15 inch guns.
... The Soyuz would be formidable on paper.
In reality the actual construction may be less then good, depending on quality of materials...
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

My info has the SS with 16" guns.

At any rate the advantage has to go with the Germans who have far more experience. This experience runs from design and construction experience to operational experience, to the best technical support from experienced private enterprize and private acadamia, and to actual combat experience. We should expect the Bismarck to have superior firecontrol equipment and procedures. We should expect the Germans to have superior metalurgy and armour manafacture methods.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
tameraire01

Post by tameraire01 »

I must be wrong. those soviet BBs would give the germans a good run though.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. Joseph Stalin
paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen,
To add to Dave's evaluation, I would expect the German crews to be far better trained than their Soviet counterparts.
mangust.lis

Post by mangust.lis »

tameraire01 wrote:who would win this battle. The Soviets or the KM? The Soviet BB from what i found out had 15 inch guns in double turrets vs the Bismarck's 15 inch guns.
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

Thanks for posting the illustration, it's a good one :D