Bismarck against BB-57 South Dakota

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
Thorsten Wahl

Re: Bismarck against BB-57 South Dakota

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

alecsandros wrote: Example: Iowa salvo patterns at 25.000 and 36.000y:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship ... 76_jpg.gif
For better visualisation i have removed the big impact circles and added a BB-size target in the center of the target area
bb-61-.gif
bb-61-.gif (18.7 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!
Thorsten Wahl

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

From the Data above I have approximately calculated, MPI, 50%ige Längenstreuung, hit probability for BB size broadside target

36 k yard
MPI -99 yard
50%ige Längenstreuung ~325 yard
hit probability ~7 %

25 k yard
MPI +45 yard
50%ige Längenstreuung ~200 yard
hit probability ~15%
Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

Impressive...
What I don't know is if Iowa fired against a stationery or moving target... ?
Thorsten Wahl

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

"target area" should be somewhat stationary
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

boredatwork wrote:
According to Dumas neither one of you are completely right!

1. Richelieu DID conduct test firings in 1940 but was unlikely to have noted dispersion problems...etc.etc.
Great post. It's stuff like this that makes it such a pleasure to be here with all of you, even while we are bickering about who would win and so forth.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

alecsandros wrote:Impressive...
What I don't know is if Iowa fired against a stationery or moving target... ?
Dispersion is not related to whether the target is moving or not. It IS related to whether all the guns are the same temperature, though.

In any case, it doesn't seem to have been unusual for these ships to obtain straddles with their first salvo.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Steve:
In any case, it doesn't seem to have been unusual for these ships to obtain straddles with their first salvo.
In which combat do this characteristic first salvo/straddle happened, aside from the isolated Nowaki incident in which there were two battleships (18 x 16") firing at a single destroyer?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:In which combat do this characteristic first salvo/straddle happened, aside from the isolated Nowaki incident in which there were two battleships (18 x 16") firing at a single destroyer?
Didn't West Virgina manage a first-salvo hit on Yamashiro at something like eleven miles? I remember reading that she managed hits in five out of six salvos - if so, that's pretty impressive at that distance.
Shift Colors... underway.
Karl Heidenreich

Jon:
Didn't West Virgina manage a first-salvo hit on Yamashiro at something like eleven miles? I remember reading that she managed hits in five out of six salvos - if so, that's pretty impressive at that distance.
Have to admitt that's impressive. When I read Willmot's account on Surigao I'm pretty sure that particular information wasn't there. Is there another document in which we can follow that? I will like to read more on that. Seems important.

Regards,
Sir Winston Churchill
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

Karl:

"Battle of Surigao Strait", by Anthony P. Tunny. 350pg+ covering exactly this battle...
Check your PM :)
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

alecsandros wrote:Karl:

"Battle of Surigao Strait", by Anthony P. Tunny. 350pg+ covering exactly this battle...
Check your PM :)
Here's West Virginia's action report:

http://funsite.unc.edu/hyperwar/USN/shi ... rigao.html
Karl Heidenreich

Hey, guys. Thanks! It seems that it is you who know about the sources...
Sir Winston Churchill
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:Hey, guys. Thanks! It seems that it is you who know about the sources...
No problem... lots of references to this out there. From http://www.usswestvirginia.org/uss_west ... istory.htm:
...West Virginia's radar picked up Nishimura's force at a range of 42,000 yd (38,000 m) and had achieved a firing solution at 30,000 yd (27,000 m)... At 0352, West Virginia unleashed her eight 16 in (410 mm) guns of the main battery at a range of 22,800 yd (20,800 m), striking the leading Japanese battleship with her first salvo. Of the first six salvos West Virginia fired, five had struck the target and in all she fired 16 salvos in the direction of Nishimura's ships as Oldendorf "crossed the T" of the Japanese fleet... At 0413, the "Wee Vee" ceased fire...
Pretty impressive, and a compelling demonstration of just how effective the USN's radar-directed gunnery could be in 1944. I'll go out on a moderately thick branch and speculate that at night, twenty year-old West Virginia - performing as she did at Surigao? - would have been a good match for any Axis battleship, on her own.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

I'm not trying to take anything away from WV's gunnery, which was excellent, but we should note the weather conditions:

"The wind was from 120° about 6 knots, sea smooth, very dark, visibility 12,000 yards except with land background."

and these conditions were pretty rare except in the Pacific islands.
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

I'm wondering - is this a record of sort, a first-salvo hit at 22,000+ yards? Hits scored in five of the six following salvos?

Fine shooting, that is was... must have been very depressing to be on Yamashiro.