HMS Warrior and Black Prince Come out to Play

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
AThompson

Re: HMS Warrior and Black Prince Come out to Play

Post by AThompson »

marcelo_malara wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:29 am Hi!

pr = pounder

For the molten iron shell. For sure it was dreadful for a wooden ship, not so much for an iron one, but it was also risky for the firing ship, any spill of the melt iron (not to mention the time and coal needed to do it) was a possible fire. In my knowledge it was more usually used from coastal fortress.
I know that Warrior, and I assume Black Prine too, had a facility on board to fill molten iron shells. It was thought that you only had 4 minutes to fire the shell once loaded, but later tests revealed the iron stayed hot for around an hour.
I will ask all the questions on all things floaty.
marcelo_malara

Re: HMS Warrior and Black Prince Come out to Play

Post by marcelo_malara »

AThompson wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:48 pm
marcelo_malara wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:29 am Hi!

pr = pounder

For the molten iron shell. For sure it was dreadful for a wooden ship, not so much for an iron one, but it was also risky for the firing ship, any spill of the melt iron (not to mention the time and coal needed to do it) was a possible fire. In my knowledge it was more usually used from coastal fortress.
I know that Warrior, and I assume Black Prine too, had a facility on board to fill molten iron shells. It was thought that you only had 4 minutes to fire the shell once loaded, but later tests revealed the iron stayed hot for around an hour.
Yes, I think that some wooden ships were also so fit. There was also an incendiary shell called the carcass, I think it was less hazardous than the molten iron to be fired from wooden ships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcass_%28projectile%29