Redesigning Bismarck

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
Thorsten Wahl

Re: Redesigning Bismarck

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

Bill Jurens wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:05 pm
If you could be a bit more specific, I could try to look some numbers up. You might want to refer to the paper Strafford Morss and I wrote on the machinery plant of USS Massachusetts (BB-59) in Warship International about 15 years ago. It should be up on JSTOR. This contains a series of complete heat-flow diagrams for the engineering plant. This will give you steam capacity for each component, but not necessarily steam distribution, which, as noted above, somewhat depends upon exactly how much you are devoting to hotel services...

Bill Jurens
I found the informations on Massachusetts, many many thanks. (Es ist wunderbar)
There are significant differencies between american and german practise in regard range calculations/ fuel consumption.

In short we can say the german range approach is centered on 100% combat readiness / maximum redundancy...100% steam available, electricity production on 100%, all powerplants separated(Gefechtsschaltung) and in use, all auxiliaries running.

The american calculation approach is centered on effective operation of the powerplants. depending on speed use of 1-n boilers and screws.

Compared to the german approach there are significant reductions in fuel consumption especially in partial load.

in addition the Germans calculated the range using a "bad" oil with ~8,800 kcal/l lower heating value compared to NSFO used in american practise with ~10,000 kcal/l (~150,000 BTU/gal).
Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!