Photo Quiz #9

Naval photographers post your photos here. Warship tours, mistery ships, quizzes, etc.
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Photo Quiz #9

Post by Terje Langoy »

Here's a photo for those with an affinity for details :cool:

“Gneisenau has given way, and we are to march at once to your chief.”
Karl Heidenreich

Re: Photo Quiz #9

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

HMS Hood.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

Yes, I would say it is HMS Hood.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

Nice shot guys but unfortunately no. The Hood had no portholes around the area of her citadel. Additionally, she had several single secondary guns below the boat deck, at least three of them should have been visible here.

Any other candidates..?
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

I think Renown or Repulse, but if so I don't know which ... they both changed over the years, although there is a bulge showing. I can't remember which one had the 4.5" twins but I will guess this is Repulse.
RNfanDan
Supporter

Post by RNfanDan »

This is HMS Renown. The top of her bulge and lack of external belt armor are unmistakable.

:wink:
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Renown or Repulse for sure. One has to look at the different sized funnels, the mainmast, and portholes in the hull.

Terje, very nice photo by the way.
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

RNfanDan wrote:This is HMS Renown. The top of her bulge and lack of external belt armor are unmistakable.
He shoots ... and he scores.

It was indeed HMS Renown depicted above, as seen in June 1933. I've added another image displaying her overall appearance. She is quite a beautiful ship.

RF

Post by RF »

The overall outline, from this angle, has similarities to Hood, although as you say the complete absence of the secondary guns was a giveaway.

My impression on seeing the first photo was that it was of Hood, at about the section of the ship where the fatal detonation that destroyed the ship occurred, and had assumed that was what was mean't by the reference to affinity for details.
RNfanDan
Supporter

COMMENT ON DETAILS MENTIONED

Post by RNfanDan »

The first photo shown is very rich in detail, as it is both a very crisp, clear photo and of close proximity to reveal these details (among many others):

* Aviation-fuel tank
* Underside supports of the SL & director platform
* Engine room ventilation trunk below torpedo director (can see right thru it!)
* Catapult and launch car structures
* Rigging and stays
* Drain chutes
* Bulge inspection hatches
* Ship's boats & cutters

Being somewhat more familiar with Renown than with other ships, identification took less than three seconds! As I indicated above, she is unmistakable even when compared with her sistership, Repulse, from the mid-1920s to 1930s. The latter ship carried a distinctive, visible belt of six-inch armor from her waterline up, never fitted to Renown. Repulse also had no visible lower row of scuttles amidships, as this area was obviously occupied by the armor belt. Their upper bulges differed in appearance as well, Renown's drainage chutes clearly marking its presence--even when viewed from bow- or stern-on, her upper bulges protruding near the waterline was sure tip to her identity:
Renown Under Way.JPG
Renown Under Way.JPG (41.34 KiB) Viewed 14402 times
Cheers! :D
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

Here's an image of HMS Repulse where her external belt can be clearly seen...

Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

RF wrote: My impression on seeing the first photo was that it was of Hood, at about the section of the ship where the fatal detonation that destroyed the ship occurred, and had assumed that was what was mean't by the reference to affinity for details.
The fatal section of the Mighty Hood can be seen here

RF

Post by RF »

When was this picture taken? The impression on parts of this photo is of a real rust bucket.....
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

I bought this photo on eBay and it came without any date on the back of the photo. Just a number I reckon to be a library number or similar. What triggered me into byuing this photo was not the rust-bucket-tendencies but another detail. Or should I say the lack of three other details? I'm sure you must have noted it. Where are her secondary guns?

However, I found the same photo at p. 230 in Bruce Taylor's book, The Battlecruiser HMS Hood, An Illustrated Biography 1916 - 1941" He comments the photo like this:

"Painting the ship's side in Hood's final colour scheme, AP507B (Home Fleet Medium Grey) at Scapa Flow in October 1940. Note the splinter protection around the four installations visible along the port side of the boat deck (left to right): port pom-pom ('Peter'), Port No. 1 4-in gun, Port No 2 UP launcher and port No 2 4-in gun. Obscured behind No 1 4-in gun is the No 1 UP launcher beside which AB Bob Tilburn sheltered during the last action. The battery is empty and largely plated over. On the spotting top the 15-foot rangefinder has been removed but the director and its hood remain. These alterations were all made in three successive refits between February 1939 and May 1940..."
RF

Post by RF »

It is unfortunate that in the luxury of a wartime refit the earlier projected improvement to armoured protection couldn't have been carried out.....