Photo Quiz #12

Naval photographers post your photos here. Warship tours, mistery ships, quizzes, etc.
RF

Re: Photo Quiz #12

Post by RF »

It turns out that the photo I was thinking of in Ballard's book is on page 32 not 34, where Hitler has his back to the camera while Lutjens salutes him (no return salute). I'll have to have another look to see the picture on page 34.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

Page 34 - the caption reads ''Hitler returns the salute of the ships company'' as he was about to board Bismarck for his visit of 5th May 1941.

Now all the KM staff officers alongside Hitler give the orthodox military salute while Hitler gives the Nazi salute.
Formal - yes, but the KM retained the orthodox salute until August 1944 when the Nazi salute became obligatory following the 20th July bomb plot.

Note that many of the KM ratings and recruits by 1940 will have served in the Hitler Youth and would have been exposed to full indoctrination, and the record of these men indicates that the indoctrination ran only skin deep.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
rtwpsom2

Post by rtwpsom2 »

I have a question regarding your picture, Terje. Well actually a question about Gneisenau. Compare your picture to one I have.

At first I thought your pic couldn't have been Gneisenau because of the decking. Now I wonder are they standing on the underlayment? Was the "good stuff" just not installed yet?
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

I take it the photo of yours may be dated early 1940, maybe during transit prior to operation Nordmark? Anyway, dating the different deck plating of the bridge aboard the Gneisenau is definitely not my cup of tea but I am however capable of making deductions. My instant thought goes to the continuous dillemma of these ships ... sea spray. They shipped a lot of water which I think could have made the outdoor bridge area a slippery place. So, to keep it reasonably dry they could have laid down an extra set of deck plating with draining holes on top of the original one in order to keep the shipped water below and away. Just a guess but it seems plausible. So on, if my deduction holds water then I figure installation could have been performed during the bow rebuild period, the winter of 1938-39. This would in turn mean that if the Gneisenau really recorded and attempted to remedy such a "flaw" it would probably be executed simultaneously aboard the Scharnhorst, maybe even before she entered commission.

However, this is far too spesific for me. I'm still reasonably sure the quiz picture of this thread is captured aboard the Gneisenau. You see, that photo is one of several photos I have covering the particular event as described above.
rtwpsom2

Post by rtwpsom2 »

I am sorry, I didn't mean to imply I didn't believe that your photo wasn't on Gneisenau, I should have made it clear that it was only a passing thought until I realized Gneisenau was the only KM ship with bridge rails like that. Scharnhorst's bridge rails are similar, but the angled portion folds down. Bismarck and Tirpitz had rails with a similar construction, but not the raised platform along the forward edge. So I am sorry if my post seemed to be questioning you.
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

Oh, but you should never apologize for questioning a photo.

That is a healthy way of viewing any historical document/photo and benefit you and/or us all - correct info with any given photo. This photo I was fairly sure about but you should indeed present your questions if you believe the info to be wrong. If you should have doubts do not be silent.