British Warships in Mombassa, Kenya 1950's

Naval photographers post your photos here. Warship tours, mistery ships, quizzes, etc.
paulcadogan

British Warships in Mombassa, Kenya 1950's

Post by paulcadogan »

Guys,

Here's a link to a webpage of photos that shows several major (and some minor) British warships in Mombassa harbour during the late 1950's. It was sent to me by a friend.

There are some nice shots of Ark Royal (R-09), Eagle (R-05), Albion, Victorious (in her recontrsucted fit). a Colony class cruiser (Ceylon) plus some Leander and Tribal class frigates plus smaller vessels - a real treasure trove of post WW2 ships.

Enjoy!:

http://www.mccrow.org.uk/EastAfrica/EAW ... EastAf.htm

Paul
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
Bgile

Re: British Warships in Mombassa, Kenya 1950's

Post by Bgile »

Interesting!

One thing I hadn't noticed before is the naval ensign on the fantail. In the US Navy, the colors are switched from the fantail to the mast as the ship get's underweigh and I'd always thought everyone did that.
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

Thanks for the great post, I always enjoy seeing people's personal pictures of ships.
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Nice shots aren't they? :cool:

Anyone know what was so significant about East Africa during those years why the RN's big ships were so active in the area?

In the Caribbean I've never seen a British warship bigger than a destroyer! (Although during WW2, Indomitable ran aground entering Kingston Harbour putting paid to her joining Force Z...but that was somewhat before my time...)

Didn't know about that flag practice Bgile....

Paul
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
RF

Post by RF »

I think this was around the time of the ''Mau Mau'' conflict in Kenya. Possibly the RN and other forces were engaged in operations against arms smuggling, against the backdrop of the Cold War and possible Soviet involvement with African guerilla movements.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.