Photo Quiz #16

Naval photographers post your photos here. Warship tours, mistery ships, quizzes, etc.
yellowtail3

Re: Photo Quiz #16

Post by yellowtail3 »

heh heh - I was backward, and the cue was Jutland. What I should have written was, "then it has to be Queen Elizabeth, or... one of the Revenge-class apart from Revengeor Royal Oak

or something like that. Maybe I really am citcelsyd!
Shift Colors... underway.
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

Karl was spot on that the ship is Queen Elizabeth class,

My guess is to why it is the HMS Barham. I looked at some pictures online trying to narrow down the vessel.

I found a picture on this website of the HMS Barham, the last picture on the page

http://www.maritimequest.com/warship_di ... barham.htm

It appears to show some type of tripod on the A turret of the Barham, it could be a mount for the canvas on the other side of the turret. I couldn't find any other pictures of this feature on any of the QE's.
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

Kyler, I don´t think that tripod is a unique feature - as I´ve seen it aboard the Queen Elizabeth ...

... here after the 1926 refit. I´ve also seen it aboard the Warspite after her 1924 refit. It appears to me this tripod served as rear support whenever party tents (canvas) were stretched across the forecastle. I presume the Queen´s experienced all sorts of official visits while serving as flagship in the Mediterranean during interwar years. Lots of occasions to deploy those tripods, so to speak.

In either case - and as stated in my previous post - all I have going for sound identification as of yet is the note on the back of this photo. Our fellow forum member Dan made an interesting remark that I had hoped to investigate further, namely the shape of the forecastle. With nothing more to go for at the current moment perhaps we should call for a tie between Barham and Queen Elizabeth while awaiting further excitement.

And on that note I´m off to order Campbell´s book ...
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

Terje,

Great picture and your probably absolutely right. Let us know what you find out after some more research.
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
RNfanDan
Supporter

Re:

Post by RNfanDan »

Terje Langoy wrote: Our fellow forum member Dan made an interesting remark that I had hoped to investigate further, namely the shape of the forecastle.
I will save you some time.

The refits for Valiant and Q.Elizabeth were made somewhat later in the 1930s. When these occurred, each ship's main armament was given increased elevation. This resulted in the main armaments of both ships having armored mantlets (some have called them "eyebrows") above each gun barrel, at the leading edge of the turret roofs. These mantlets are not present in the photo; ergo, the photo either predates these refits (if it was taken aboard Valiant or Queen Elizabeth), or it is Barham or Malaya in the photo.

In summary then, this potentially qualifies all five ships as candidates but It may be very difficult to disprove the photo as being taken aboard Q.E., unless the photo's date and location can be confirmed to the contrary, thus ruling her out. If the photo is annotated as Q.E., there seems very little to establish doubt.

I vote (if it matters) that we call it Q.E. and award the prize!

:clap:
yellowtail3

Re: Re:

Post by yellowtail3 »

RNfanDan wrote:I vote (if it matters) that we call it Q.E. and award the prize!

:clap:
BASED ONE the thread originator having assured us that the ship pictured never fought the ship whose photo I posted... I'll go along with that.
Shift Colors... underway.
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

RNfanDan wrote:The refits for Valiant and Q.Elizabeth were made somewhat later in the 1930s. When these occurred, each ship's main armament was given increased elevation. This resulted in the main armaments of both ships having armored mantlets (some have called them "eyebrows") above each gun barrel, at the leading edge of the turret roofs. These mantlets are not present in the photo; ergo, the photo either predates these refits (if it was taken aboard Valiant or Queen Elizabeth), or it is Barham or Malaya in the photo.
That is absolutely correct, Dan. The abscence of modernization was a feature that had me placing this photo in the Mediterranean in 1935. (Under the presumption that this is the Queen Elizabeth) Her last pre-war refit (1937-41) saw the superstructure altered; block structure instead of tiered tower, guns modified (increased elevation for further range) plus her secondaries were refitted in turrets as opposed to the previous enclosed casemates (an unique feature found only aboard the Q.E. and Valiant)

A key difference between Queen Elizabeth and Valiant after refit were their masts. The former had tripod whilst the latter had a pole mast ... if someone should happen to be interested in such minor differences.

And if someone also should happen to be curious about these armoured mantlets ("eyebrows") that Dan referred to then Campbell has a superb photo of the guns of Warspite with this feature in his book Naval Weapons of World War Two.
RNfanDan wrote:I vote (if it matters) that we call it Q.E. and award the prize!

Let´s hold our horses just a little while longer ... until I get my hands on Campbell´s book. It is dedicated to the Queen Elizabeth class and should hopefully settle the matter for good.