USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park

Naval photographers post your photos here. Warship tours, mistery ships, quizzes, etc.
José M. Rico
Administrator

Re: U.S.S. Alabama Memorial Park

Post by José M. Rico »

Amazing photos!
Thank you for posting Kyler.

6' 4", you must have suffered inside that sub! :lol:

Is that a Flying Bomb (V-1 type) hanging from the roof in the third photo from the bottom?
RF

Post by RF »

This is a fantastic set of photo's, I second Joses' comments.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Jack B.

Post by Jack B. »

The V1 had a single tail, where that one has a twin tail. The Japanese played around with the same idea as the V1, but I believe they went with a twin tail similar to their maned Baka.

Boy it has been about 10 years since I have been to see the Alabama, and the paint has sure gone down hill. I don't remember seeing any chipped paint or large sections of pealing paint when I was there.

Thanks for posting these pictures.
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

José M. Rico wrote:Amazing photos!
Thank you for posting Kyler.

6' 4", you must have suffered inside that sub! :lol:

Is that a Flying Bomb (V-1 type) hanging from the roof in the third photo from the bottom?

Thanks,

The Alabama was better then the Drum, but still not friendly to tall people especially the gun turrets. If I had lived during WW2 and volunteered or got drafted into the Navy they would probably laughed at me.

The drone in the picture is a XKD5G-1 Target Drone, probably from Pensacola NAB.
http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/arti ... 9660166000

Now for everyone needing any research material, all the pictures are low quality JPEG photos, I also have full censor RAW images of all the pictures posted. So if you need a possibly more detailed photo you can send me a message to get it.
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Oh, I see.
So, the drone was basically used for AA target practice, it didn't have a warhead like the German V-1, right?
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

No indication of a warhead, but the US did develop and test armed pulse jets bombs after WW2
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Kyler

Re: USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park

Post by Kyler »

Here a couple of pictures I have edited for effect. Hope you like them.

Ken Thompson

Post by Ken Thompson »

Actually it looks better than it did when I visited it in 1977 and more displays. You have to remember that this are took the brunt of hurricane Katrina not so long ago. The ship also has no fuel and ammunition load so its floating much higher and they painted the water line down so it makes the ship look stubbier. You might want to visit the Massachusetts in Fall River. Way up forward on the port side is a patch where it got it by French coastal batteries during the invasion of North Africa.
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

I know this topic is almost a year old, but I recently visited BB-60 again. Now this time I did not go back aboard the ship. I just took pictures from the outside of the ship including the park and it's other items on display.

As with the Alabama herself, much of the other items on display are in need of some much need TLC. Several of the tanks had serious rust and corrosion problems. The aircraft were in similar need of need of paint. The F-105, F-86, & F9F were all damaged during Katrina. Their hanger flooded and the three planes ended up mangled together. They are awaiting repairs when that is going to be who knows.