Further expeditions to the Bismarck

Anything concerning the wreck. Expeditions, submersibles, photos, etc.
30knots

Further expeditions to the Bismarck

Post by 30knots »

Does anyone know if it is planned to have any further expeditions to the Bismarck wreck ? I see from info posted on the previous expeditions that there is still an 'unexplored debris field' ?

Thanks for any replies.
RF

Post by RF »

I believe the German government has expressed a disaproval of further expeditions for fear of looting and other improper activity on what is a war grave.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
30knots

Post by 30knots »

Thanks for your reply RF.

"for fear of looting and other improper activity"

Sounds like anyone could just run amok. How can an expedition with months (years?) of careful planning that uses ROVs or manned submersibles do that ?

What i was trying to ask was if all the proper permissions and permits were in place with guarantees to respect the war grave status of the Bismarck is if there were any plans to explore the 'unexplored'.

ref: unexplored debris field

Thanks for any replies.
RF

Post by RF »

My reference to impropriety concerns the removal of artefacts from the wreck of the Titantic and allegations as to whether there is any moral entitlement to do so.

It is a question of the purposes of the expedition, and for whose benefit - not just as a matter of historical research, but financial gain.
30knots

Post by 30knots »

Thanks RF

Sorry, but you've lost me there. Titanic ? I thought we were talking about the Bismarck.

The purpose of the expedition would be to explore the unexplored debris field.

The benefit would be to reveal what has not been revealed to hundreds, if not thousands.

Financial gain will always be there, as it is in most things.

Thanks for any replies.
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

If I remember correctly, "Deep Ocean Expeditions" planned an expedition to the wreck of the Bismarck earlier this year, but for some reason it was cancelled in the end. You may want to check their website regularly to see if they have an expedition on schedule for 2008.

http://www.deepoceanexpeditions.com
ltinker

Post by ltinker »

Damn its dear to dive to the ship but would be worth it for the historical significance of being able to see the ship now.
RF

Post by RF »

30 knots,

The reference to the Titanic concerns the fairly widespread publicity given to the apparent removal of objects from the wreck as ''finders keepers'' and their alleged offer for sale on internet auction sites. The concern is that the same could happen with the wreck of Bismarck or any other sunken ship in the future.

I am all in favour of exploring the debris field, on a look but don't touch basis, ie. without looting. But until international law is clarified on this the motives of future expeditions inevitably comes into question. This is particulary so if proposals arise to refloat the wreck, as I believe have been made with respect to Titanic.
30knots

Post by 30knots »

Thanks RF
30knots

Post by 30knots »

sorry.............thanks to Jose and Itinker too