I visited the wreck in 2005

Anything concerning the wreck. Expeditions, submersibles, photos, etc.
hellomartin

I visited the wreck in 2005

Post by hellomartin »

Hi, I visited the wreck of the Bismarck on a Mir submersible in 2005 during "Operation Bismarck" I have photos etc. Let me know if i can be of help to anyone. Martin French
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Hello and welcome- It would be great if you could tell us more about your trip, and if possible share some photos of the wreck with us!!
hellomartin

Post by hellomartin »

I have a pdf, is there some way I can attach it to these posts or the site?
hellomartin

Post by hellomartin »

Try clicking (or copy/pasting) these links, they should take you into a couple of my Facebook albums. If you click on each photo, you will see I have written captions. I am really glad to be able to share them with Bismarck enthusiasts. Any feedback welcome and I will try answer any questions. I spent quite a long time exploring the debris field and found some large items, possibly including the funnel and the cranes someone was looking for. But those images are on another hard drive. I will dig them out in a couple of weeks.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... =600560973

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 60973&op=6

It was quite a trip!

Merry Christmas everyone,

Martin
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

hellomartin wrote:I have a pdf, is there some way I can attach it to these posts or the site?
No, I don't think so. But if you send it to me via e-mail I may upload the file to my server so you can later link from there.
Great photos!

Here I found some other photos of the wreck taken by a guy who was on the same 2005 expedition as you. Well, surely you already know him. :D

http://www.rmwexplorations.com/bismark.htm

Happy Holidays!
Last edited by José M. Rico on Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hellomartin

Post by hellomartin »

Yes, of course I know him. In fact if you look through my album there is a picture of Bob and I together with the Mir programe director.

It would be good to plan another expedition and do a proper survey of the debris field. There are some pretty big chunks of metal lying around I can tell you. Unlike Titanic, it is all untouched. It is the closest you will come to seeing the preserved aftermath of a WWII battle.
Djoser

Re: I visited the wreck in 2005

Post by Djoser »

Wow I don't know how I missed this, I've been a member of the forum for a long time. Sadly, the facebook pages are gone now. Still, it was a generous gesture to post the links here...
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

facebook pages are missing by now, but you can find the photos here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1506

:D
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

Thanks so much, Jose!