Bismarck Wreck Salvage

Anything concerning the wreck. Expeditions, submersibles, photos, etc.
JtD

Re: Wreck salvage

Post by JtD »

Moral reasons aside, I think it's cheaper to build a new one than to raise (and repair) the actual one. If you want to show a destroyed BB to your kids, build it. Any way, it's a waste of resources and they are very well needed elsewhere in this world.
RF

Post by RF »

And why even build a replica when you have pictures of the actual wreck?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Legend

Post by Legend »

Don't bother asking... :stubborn:
AND THE SEA SHALL GRANT EACH MAN NEW HOPE, AS SLEEP BRINGS DREAMS.
wonderkind

Post by wonderkind »

meaby a bit late but still we need to keep talking about this,

the wreck should be brought up and the political correctnes should be broken because if you dont talk about it as long as the curse is not broken there stil is going to be hurt feelings and still there is going to be sadnes about these things we need to get those political correctnes out of the story to give to people the chance to heal to heal relations to give us the chance to openly talk about it make the bismarck a place that vets can visit and drink together.and make it a place that vets can forgive eathother and make it a testemony of the greatness of beilding her....and by the way ask the present goverment if they consider themselfs as owner of the eagles nest remains and remains of the fhurer bunker in the ground they wil say no !! why be owner of a ship wreck when you dont want to own the rest of it..probable cause of political correctnes.... allso im in for cleaning the oceans of the wrecks and all the stuf cemigals and weapons that could pose a threath tho the sealife, and as fer the boddy's every sailor hopes of comming home to his loved onces..its time those boys who are still out on the rine mission on board to come home and get the resting place they diserve...the monomunt tomb
the military buriel site on land so they tho can be honoured for the galant fight they did for the motherland...its time the bismarck came back to port to dock and tho bring and end tho her mission,....
and also whe could have a chance to salvage not only her hull but also her guns to replace them and the bridge...
so she could be a monument to the kriegsmarine because despite the political goat woal correctnes of this time you have to seey the kriegsmarine and her job seperated from the nazi party and there objectifs..if you condem the bismarck and her men as doing the wrong thing you condem the navy of this day then any navy would be wrong because the young men and woman who are serving right now are yust simpley following orders as did those young men on the bismarck they where bound by there duty as enlisted men of the navy...
as one of the elite members of the us navy once sayd...my navy right my navy rong...my navy...my country right ...my country wrong ...my country i serve her...i serve the people not politics...i protect the people of my country...as did the men on the bismarck...
bring them home...do let them be forgotten...
wonderkind

Post by wonderkind »

and think about all those mothers that had to miss there sons, give eatch of those mothers the chance to have back there sons there loved onces, give eatch of those mothers a chance and the right to honour there sons because if the remains of those boys are brought back to land to be buried on the militairy buriel site on land then eatch mother can visit her son when ever she wants to remind in silence on her one son,
do we want to give eatch of those parents the posibility to go tho ther sons grave and remember him and honour him??...
let bring those boys back lets call the bismarck home to put an end to the sufering of the people...
and tho give them back what they diserf...
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

But you know that Bismarck was sunk almost 70 years ago?
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
wonderkind

Post by wonderkind »

yeah so...???
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Ehmm... I don't think the mother of none of those sailors to be still alive in 2010...
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:Ehmm... I don't think the mother of none of those sailors to be still alive in 2010...
There's another problem...

There are no remains of those sailors anymore... pairs of boots and maybe other clothes. That's all. Bismarck is just a rotting heap of steel down there, nothing more but a war grave. Bringing it up would disturb it, would cost too much and nobody would really know what to do with it once towed into a harbour (let alone the problem how you seal the hull, lift it from the seabed and bring it up...).

She sank, get over it.

Happy dreaming ~ Olaf!
Why the Navy? Well,.... I was young and short on money...
http://linerpara.de
wonderkind

Post by wonderkind »

i disagree whit you on the fact that i do know what to do whit her...

first we bring up the hull and the turrets and other parts..and at sea we replace the turrets in there right position
and we try to fix her up as good as it gets..and then tow her back to port...then we send in clean teams to clean out the debrie on
her walls..and what ever remains whell find we can try to identify whit dna and there are enough relatifs alive today to try...
and then clean the ship turn her in to a museum there are enough possibility's you could use cd players on the walls whit pictures of the crew
if a visitor pushes a button a cd goes playing and tells a story about that person...
and allso you can make her a place of peace where sailors from all over the world could meet eatchother whe could make her a place of
negotiations..for world leaders to come together and singh peace contracts...
a restaurant could be opend on board to sell meals to hungry visitors...there are endless posibility's...
so bringing her up hase enough potential...
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

Good luck
Regards

Marc

RF

Post by RF »

And no doubt make a nice tidy profit out of it as well.
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

Disneyland. I hope the world will be spared from such fantasies coming true. Wonderkind, I'm sorry and I don't want to be rude, but it sounds to me very childish. Fortunately the hull is so badly damaged, that a salvage in one piece is pretty unlikely anyway. There is absolutely no need for a mythical or romanticizing transfiguration of a piece of steel that most people do not even know, but there are a lot opportunities to spend billions of Euros( or Dollars) in a much better way.
Regards

Marc

riderinthewind

Post by riderinthewind »

the technology to raise the hull from the depths does not at this time exist. certainly, pieces, and bits can be raised, but the stresses on the hull alone due to the changing pressures would likely cause even more damage to the steel. the entire concept to me is one of pure fantasy. I do not mean to be rude, but I can see no economical feasibility in raising him, even if it were possible. it would take tens of billions of US Dollars, if not hundreds of billions, just to raise him to the surface. and I have no doubt that lives would be lost in the attempt itself. in my humble opinion, it is best to leave him at the bottom of the sea. even to raise on of his main turrets would be a technological marvel, to raise the entire ship is inconceivably difficult, bordering on, if not in fact impossible.
RF

Post by RF »

Agreed.