Hi, need some info where some pieces of the wreck are.

Anything concerning the wreck. Expeditions, submersibles, photos, etc.
Capt. Lindemann

Hi, need some info where some pieces of the wreck are.

Post by Capt. Lindemann »

Hi, I am posting this because I need some info where some of the major pieces of the Bismarck is. I am helping someone build a model of the wreck for Virtual Sailor. It is a sailing simulator.

Location of where cranes used to be..

location of 1st crane

2nd crane

Mast
Jason JR. near the funnel( I know that the funnel isn't attached to the body, I just don't know where it is.).

I know the Bismarck had color, it is just what was transfered from the modeling program.
Danelov

Post by Danelov »

About the funnel I have never see a photo or read something. But in general this parts are quite fragil,the metal utilised in the build process for reason of weight must be relative light and of course ,is crushed by the water pressure easily.
Of the known wrecks at high or medium depth I have never see a wreck with still the funnel near of his original form.
The bridge structures forward castle with the main forward director was broken in the sink process and I think is near of the wreck but in inverted position.Is quite a big part like a building of three-four etages.

Good luck with the Sim :D
ostriker

Post by ostriker »

Regarding the funnel,
i think (but not 100% sure), that it was "destroyed in small parts" when the ship went down (but after she was under the surface).

Like Danelov said, this part of the ships was usually in light metal.
We saw many case where AP en HE shell cross this part without explosing.