Chávez High Seas Fleet

The warships of today's navies, current naval events, ships in the news, etc.
Karl Heidenreich

Chávez High Seas Fleet

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Human Kind does not learn from it´s own mistakes, never.

In 1937-8 Hitler was vulnerable, an easy problem to deal with. The allies let him to finish his plans and attack Poland. Fifty million dead people later the problem was finnaly dealt with.
1945. USA was the only country with nuclear weapons, with strategic bombers as the B-29 and with military forces in every continent of the world. But Stalin was let to steal and develop his own A bomb and missile technology and long range bombers and, finally, had a forty years Cold War with millions dead in proxy low intensity wars.
1950-53. North Korea was not defeated and, until today, a pain in everybody necks.
1960. Ho Chi Ming and Castro are not properly dealth with and so there are problems for decades that bring death without victory to the US.
1991. Saddam is let to continue in power, instead of being disposed of and brought to La Haya jail to be condemned for war crimes, Iraq is not occupied by UN, or at least NATO, troops so that in ten years time we could have a new and more dangerous conflict there that make a mess.
1998-99-2000. Clinton did not seek how to put his hands or kill Osama. Thousands pay with their lives for this criminal omision

2005-2008: Hugo Chávez buy thousands of brand new AK rifles; buy new tanks and Sukhoi supersonic fighters (as Hussein, he uses his country oil money to achieve his arm process).

2008: Hugo Chávez goes to Russia and sign an oil-weapons contract. Russia, a country that need to sell weapons is happy; Russia, that want it´s share in the geo political world dominion likes the deal (because they already had enough oil for themselves this must be "just" politics).
Now Chávez is buying nine subs, five of them are brand new Amur Class (improved Kilo Class) subs @ $100,000,000 dolars each. And with them new naval surface units and new AA systems (TOR M-1 with phased array radar guided missiles). OK, maybe just as Iraq before him this guy is just buying low "export" technology that when faced with western high tech hardware will follow the same bad luck soviet gear had when put in line of fire.

But, why let him do that? A guy as mad as him or Hitler or Saddam sooner or later believes he could attack it´s neighbors, specially if he has a CAUSE. Chávez believes Fidel Castro and his communist BS are holy gospel. And many latin americans believe that too: for instance there are a couple of very bad presidents in South America and one in Central America that believe Castro is God and Chávez his Celestial Accoutant. Is it necesary that Venezuela attacks Colombia, or Surinam or Barbados or begin a Caribean Sea Conflict in order to remove this evil and mad man? Is not easier to send today a Special Ops Group or a F-22 with a smart missile and end this now, with a low casualty figure? And maybe stabilize oil prices in the process?

I lived in Central America during the Cold War. It was not easy nor pretty. I don´t want to live that again nor to sea my son and my daughter worried about their future under attack of Venezuela and Nicaragua commie alliance.

The problem is that the allies always let their enemy built a High Seas Fleet. And when it´s ready it´s difficult to destroy it.

Best regards.
RF

Re: Chávez High Seas Fleet

Post by RF »

Not quite sure what this has to do with world navies, as Venezuela doesn't have a substatial navy and isn't really a threat to anyone. As for Chavez, is he any more secure than General Noriega was?
Karl Heidenreich

Well, in 1930 Hitler was threat to no one...

... and he is not Noriega, this guy has demagogic speech at his side, one that always finds followers in Latin America: United States is evil and Fidel Castro is our saviour. So, he may not be a threat now (Colombia believe he is) but let`s give him time, just time...

Cuba is an Island... Venezuela is buying surface ships and subs... Sukhois... TOR M-1... he is planning to enforce a Caribean Co Prosperity Sphere... believe me...

Best regards...
RF

Post by RF »

I don't honestly see what the problem is with Chavez, given that Venezuela is an open country, far more geographically accessible to the US than other hostile countries of past and present. The CIA would have no difficulty in dealing with him if that proved necessary, hence my reference to Noriega. If the US can see off Allende, Chavez wouldn't be half as difficult.
Karl Heidenreich

Well, today two Tupolev Tu-160 landed at Venezuela. Pretty scaring crap that couple of Soviet emulation of B1Lancer.
RF

Post by RF »

Only two. Not really a threat.
Karl Heidenreich

Now there is a Soviet Fleet moving toward the Caribean, the first since the decay of the USSR. A Kirov Class Battlecruiser lead the fleet.

I know that without proper air cover those ships are not much a real threat to... the US. But it is to the rest of us, including Colombia which is being surrounded by Venezuelan allies (which are commies by the way).

Best regards.
RF

Post by RF »

There is of course the 1823 Monroe Doctrine and I don't think the Russians (bearing in mind that the Soviet Union no longer exists) would be so stupid to try anything belligerent given the situation in Georgia and that it is US presidential election year.
sarahjoe

Post by sarahjoe »

This presumably will also have strategic implications in another direction - US support for Taiwan, against which a large Chinese naval presence can be directed?
sofi