What is needed to sink a US Navy task force?

The warships of today's navies, current naval events, ships in the news, etc.
Legend

Re: What is needed to sink a US Navy task force?

Post by Legend »

I did not realize that the nuke boats had anchors? Or was it exclusively the ones that were modified for Special Operations?

By the way, I understand your predicament and do not wish to push you into saying anything... anyways most of it is declassified... I just can't put my finger on that original source where I found it. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tom Clancy! It was one of his where... what was it... one of the older ones I think, right after the initial Trilogy and after that WWIII simulation.
AND THE SEA SHALL GRANT EACH MAN NEW HOPE, AS SLEEP BRINGS DREAMS.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Legend wrote:I did not realize that the nuke boats had anchors? Or was it exclusively the ones that were modified for Special Operations?
My recollection is there is an anchor in the bottom of the hull, but I don't recall ever using it. We always tied up next to a pier or in one case in Hong Kong to another ship which was anchored.
Legend

Post by Legend »

Really? I find that intruiging considering the fact that they would have to be flush with the hull, for obvious reasons. A bell shaped anchor then? Hmmmm.... Also, were there two? Othersise I san see the boat drifting around and hitting obstructions if there was only one constraint point.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Legend wrote:Really? I find that intruiging considering the fact that they would have to be flush with the hull, for obvious reasons. A bell shaped anchor then? Hmmmm.... Also, were there two? Othersise I san see the boat drifting around and hitting obstructions if there was only one constraint point.
I'm pretty sure there is only one. As you mentioned before, the specially modified ones for cable tapping probably had several.

I wonder what the Sea Wolf class are being used for.
Legend

Post by Legend »

Good question. I have a hunch theyre hanging around the western Pacific... playing games with deadly Akulas and twiddling their multi-billion dollar thumbs. I do know that the third had a hundred foot section added for marines to do their buisness in...