Women On Submarines Considered

The warships of today's navies, current naval events, ships in the news, etc.
chcrawfish

Re: Women On Submarines Considered

Post by chcrawfish »

I have seen what goes on aboard US carriers, even when just going out to sea for a 2 week det for pilot Carrier Qualifications. I'm not the most handsome of men, but every time I was at sea, I got propositioned at least once every 4 days. On one carrier, we were out for only 10 days, but 16 Sailors were caught in the act during that time. The ship's CO was so hacked off that he held public Captain's Mast in the hangar deck the evening before we pulled back in to Norfolk, and he threw the book at every single one of them.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

chcrawfish wrote:I have seen what goes on aboard US carriers, even when just going out to sea for a 2 week det for pilot Carrier Qualifications. I'm not the most handsome of men, but every time I was at sea, I got propositioned at least once every 4 days. On one carrier, we were out for only 10 days, but 16 Sailors were caught in the act during that time. The ship's CO was so hacked off that he held public Captain's Mast in the hangar deck the evening before we pulled back in to Norfolk, and he threw the book at every single one of them.
That's what I am talking about, I heard a number of incidents back on the Carl C. Stennis 5 or 6 years ago. If my memory serves me correct that 57 different female sailors or officers got pregnant when the ship was on its 6 months cruise. The ship was nicked named the "Love Boat"

Does that kind of activity really need to be going on a SSBN on nuclear patrol. No

I agree with Karl that women should be able to do the same jobs as men in the military. It is both men & women not performing to the US military's standards that I am worried about and how it will affect the efficiency of the navy especially on such important ships.
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
chcrawfish

Post by chcrawfish »

The "Love Boat" cruise wasn't the Stennis. It was a supply ship or a tender on a 5th Fleet cruise, including the Persian Gulf.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
Legend

Post by Legend »

ROFL! Thats about as good as it gets boys! Hahaha! :clap:
AND THE SEA SHALL GRANT EACH MAN NEW HOPE, AS SLEEP BRINGS DREAMS.
RF

Post by RF »

Kyler wrote:
I agree with Karl that women should be able to do the same jobs as men in the military. It is both men & women not performing to the US military's standards that I am worried about and how it will affect the efficiency of the navy especially on such important ships.
Particulary in a war situation.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Bureaucromancer

Post by Bureaucromancer »

Bgile wrote: The inability of most women to move around heavy weights is another issue. you'd be surprised how many things like that there are on a submarine.
Has the rest of the navy had problems with this? What about Canada, or any of the other countries that have already integrated the submarine fleet. Hell, to the best of my knowledge this had now been a significant problem for the Canadian INFANTRY, never mind the submarines.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Bureaucromancer wrote:
Bgile wrote: The inability of most women to move around heavy weights is another issue. you'd be surprised how many things like that there are on a submarine.
Has the rest of the navy had problems with this? What about Canada, or any of the other countries that have already integrated the submarine fleet. Hell, to the best of my knowledge this had now been a significant problem for the Canadian INFANTRY, never mind the submarines.
I think they just live with it. When I was in the navy we had one female technician in our electronics shop. She was unable to lift some pieces of equipment off the shelf and take it to her workbench and one of the guys needed to do it for her. There weren't any men who couldn't do that.

When I served in armor in the National Guard, one of the most difficult things to do was to remove an injured crewmember from the turret. He had to be lifted up though the hatch, and it was one of the REAL fitness tests we had. I had difficulty with that, and I'm sure most women would have a worse time. Another thing we had to do was carry 105mm ammo to the tank from the ammo truck and hand them up to the turret, and most women would have a hard time doing that.

Obviously women can be that fit, but most of them simply aren't, and the service fitness tests only involve work against your own body, like push ups and situps and runs. They also don't have to do as many of even those things as the men do.
pasoleati

Post by pasoleati »

The way I see it is that either women should be kicked out of the military totally (or prevented from even entering it) or be given exactly equal treatment. That means that there should be absolutely NO special privileges for women. NO separate toilets or showers, NO lower physical standards and so on. The middle road taken now is nothing but surrender to feminism and feminist movement goal of having all the privileges but fewest possible duties. Luckily there are some brave authors like Martin van Creveld who dare to rise against the politically correct atmosphere.