Know any U.S. cities seeking USS JFK as museum ship?

The warships of today's navies, current naval events, ships in the news, etc.
jrsteven00

Know any U.S. cities seeking USS JFK as museum ship?

Post by jrsteven00 »

Hi all,
I am writing a magazine article on the donation of the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) as a museum ship and memorial. As you might now, the JFK is the most recent ship placed in Donation/Hold status. She’s currently berthed in the Philadelphia Naval Yard (actually, in the Delaware River because she’s too big to fit into the inner basin there). I went down to see her last week. Impressive sight.

The navy’s application deadline for cities and organizations seeking to host JFK was this past Friday - January 22, 2010.

So far I’ve heard of only one city - Portland, Maine - that has applied for the JFK. Boston is another logical applicant, but I’m not sure they got their application together in time. Jacksonville, FL, Miami, FL, and Pensacola, FL are other cities I’ve heard rumors about.

Are you aware of any cities or organizations that have applied to receive the USS John F. Kennedy as a museum ship? Have there been any efforts from your home city?

Please respond to this thread, or email me at jstevenson51-at-hotmail.com to let me know what you can.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Jason Stevenson
freelance writer
jstevenson51-at-hotmail.com
RF

Re: Know any U.S. cities seeking USS JFK as museum ship?

Post by RF »

I am surprised that there is no application from Boston, as you say it is a logical place for it to reside.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
jrsteven00

Two cities vying for ex-John F. Kennedy - which ones?

Post by jrsteven00 »

I've learned that there are two cities vying for the ex-USS John F. Kennedy, the conventional-powered aircraft carrier the Navy has decided to donate as a museum ship/memorial.

One is Portland, Maine. But I don't know the other city.
Does anyone know the identify of the other city/organization in the hunt?
There has to be some media coverage of the effort - as the organization would need the approval of the local and state officials to submit an application. And geography dictates that the city is on the East Coast.

Please respond to this thread, or email me at jstevenson51-at-hotmail-dot-com to let me know what you can.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Jason Stevenson
freelance writer
jstevenson51-at-hotmail-dot-com
Legend

Post by Legend »

I did a search and found there was something in the Forum/Site

http://supportyourlocalgunfighter.com/2 ... or-a-home/

Due to the trigger happy blocking system on my school computer I was not able to acess the actual site... but from the google page I saw some promising titles and content.

Hope this helps,
Sincerely,
Legend
AND THE SEA SHALL GRANT EACH MAN NEW HOPE, AS SLEEP BRINGS DREAMS.
RF

Post by RF »

The suggestion appears to be Camden, New Jersey. I've never heard of the place and the reference might be in jest.
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

RF wrote:The suggestion appears to be Camden, New Jersey. I've never heard of the place and the reference might be in jest.
BB-62 is in Camden, which is a generally nasty town.
Shift Colors... underway.
hammy

Post by hammy »

yellowtail3 wrote:
RF wrote:The suggestion appears to be Camden, New Jersey. I've never heard of the place and the reference might be in jest.
BB-62 is in Camden, which is a generally nasty town.
Spoken like a true gentleman of the South sir !

I take it Camden is "The Home Of The Brave" then -- i.e. you'd have to be brave to live there ! ! :dance:

Sorry , no offense meant ! :D
" Relax ! No-one else is going to be fool enough to be sailing about in this fog ."
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

USS New Jersey is at Camden but several persons has told me that if I want to go to her it`s better to come from the other side. I wonder why...
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

Not much chance of it going to Dixie then?
lwd

Post by lwd »

Wonder if anyone has looked at running her as a combination museum power plant?
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

hammy wrote:Spoken like a true gentleman of the South sir !
I take it Camden is "The Home Of The Brave" then -- i.e. you'd have to be brave to live there ! ! :dance: Sorry , no offense meant ! :D
Camden is grim; I've been there. Here's a photo I took a couple years ago, from the Philly side of the river:
Penns landing 14 April Saturday 2007 007 (Small).jpg
Penns landing 14 April Saturday 2007 007 (Small).jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 14256 times
Attachments
Penns landing 14 April Saturday 2007 003 (Small).jpg
Penns landing 14 April Saturday 2007 003 (Small).jpg (48.72 KiB) Viewed 14256 times
jrsteven00

Post by jrsteven00 »

The second city vying for the JFK is still a mystery. Jacksonville is not it. And they just got a real nuclear carrier homeported there.

And here's the article on the JFK donation I wrote for Portland (Maine) magazine:

http://www.portlandmonthly.com/portmag/ ... am-boat-2/

-JS
chcrawfish

Post by chcrawfish »

I don't know why any city would want that rustbucket. I went to sea many times abord the JFK, and she was absolutely horrible. Her material condition was abysmal, and the crew morale was even worse. There were holes in the catwalks big enough for a man to fall through, and they were patched with plywood and safety wire. 4 of her 8 boilers were kaput. Ditto for 2 of her 4 catapaults. When two of the 4 arrestor wire engines died, they finally decertified her for fixed wing operations. The one thing she was good for was training Damage Control crews, since there was at least one fire aboard every day, and at least once per week there was flooding in some compartment. She was also quite unclean in comparison to every other carrier I sailed on.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

chcrawfish:
I don't know why any city would want that rustbucket. I went to sea many times abord the JFK, and she was absolutely horrible. Her material condition was abysmal, and the crew morale was even worse. There were holes in the catwalks big enough for a man to fall through, and they were patched with plywood and safety wire. 4 of her 8 boilers were kaput. Ditto for 2 of her 4 catapaults. When two of the 4 arrestor wire engines died, they finally decertified her for fixed wing operations. The one thing she was good for was training Damage Control crews, since there was at least one fire aboard every day, and at least once per week there was flooding in some compartment. She was also quite unclean in comparison to every other carrier I sailed on.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

chcrawfish wrote: She was also quite unclean in comparison to every other carrier I sailed on.
sounds like a serious leadership problem. What years were you onboard?