Russia to Build New Aircraft Carrier

The warships of today's navies, current naval events, ships in the news, etc.
Kyler

Russia to Build New Aircraft Carrier

Post by Kyler »

Well the Russian Navy seems to want a real aircraft carrier to go with its possible fleet of Mistrals from France.

In a recent internview the top of Admiral of Russia says design plans should be completed by the end of this year for a new aircraft carrier. Its eventual construction would lead to a hopeful service date of 2020.

Isn't that a bit unrealistic since they neither have the funding or the construction capability currently to build such a vessel. Maybe thats the reason why Russia wants to build at least 2 of the Mistrals. To get thier workers experience in such projects again. Though the Admiral Kuznetzov has never had a stellar service record. Its propulsion systems have had serious problems ever since entering service. Plus are they going to do the old tried and true method of arming the thing to the teeth. If the ship gets built, a more simple design like the Charles De Gaulle I think is needed minus the nuclear reactor.
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
RF

Re: Russia to Build New Aircraft Carrier

Post by RF »

Well, on this timescale of ten years before the carrier is in service - assuming then that it is to time - its not much of an addition to Russia's immediate future strength is it?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

Additional strength, probably not since the Kuznetzov will probably not even be in service by then. Nothing is known of the design, but may get some greater strength if Russia decided to go with a larger vessel in the order of 65-70,000 tons like the Queen Elizabeths. Even if it is built, it is curious what aircraft it may have aboard. The Su-33 Carrier Aircraft is no longer in production, Su-25 isn't either, Russia's have no dedicated AWACS aircraft for carrier use, so it leaves the MiG-35, which will be a 4+ gen aircraft when every other major player with carriers will be fielding 5 gen aircraft.

The real strength addition will be the 4 Mistrals if they are bought.
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
RF

Post by RF »

Probably a preety big if....
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Russia... weapons.... no good idea for the westeners.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

Well ......its good business for western arms manufacturers isn't it?
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

I'm much more concerned about China over the long run. Their people are highly nationalistic and their potential for a world class military is much greater than Russia's. I believe it's only a matter of time and money before their military surpasses that of the USA.
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

China is in the design phase of their future home built carrier, while India is already working on theirs. Though it will probably be only a light carrier for helicopter like the Invincible.
RF

Post by RF »

Bgile wrote:I'm much more concerned about China.... I believe it's only a matter of time and money before their military surpasses that of the USA.
In terms of labour and manpower yes. But the US will maintain a decisive edge in technology for a very long time to come.