N. Korean Torpedo Sinks S. Korean Corvette

The warships of today's navies, current naval events, ships in the news, etc.
RF

Re: N. Korean Torpedo Sinks S. Korean Corvette

Post by RF »

Bgile wrote: I hold no particular animosity for the North Korean people, but we must realize what a terrible problem they will be if the two countries are ever reunited. It will make the German unification look like child's play, and that was very difficult.
The reunification of Germany was not as politically difficult as was feared would be at the time, the main problems were economic, and the West Germans largely softened those problems by a very loose monetary policy which effectively devalued the deutschmark.

Korea presents different problems but not insurmoutable ones. I am fairly optimistic long term about this in the light of the experience of Vietnam - very long wars, unification of the south into the communist north, and now the whole country is going capitalist!
Opening up North Korea will have the greatest effect with the next generation - as soon as the old propaganda wears off Kim Jong becomes forgotten and the capitalist ideology will take over, as in Vietnam. It just takes time, patience and tact waiting for it to happen. And the South Korean economy will benefit the most, from additional sources of cheap labour.......
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Kyler

Re: N. Korean Torpedo Sinks S. Korean Corvette

Post by Kyler »

RF wrote:
Bgile wrote: I hold no particular animosity for the North Korean people, but we must realize what a terrible problem they will be if the two countries are ever reunited. It will make the German unification look like child's play, and that was very difficult.
The reunification of Germany was not as politically difficult as was feared would be at the time, the main problems were economic, and the West Germans largely softened those problems by a very loose monetary policy which effectively devalued the deutschmark.

Korea presents different problems but not insurmoutable ones. I am fairly optimistic long term about this in the light of the experience of Vietnam - very long wars, unification of the south into the communist north, and now the whole country is going capitalist!
Opening up North Korea will have the greatest effect with the next generation - as soon as the old propaganda wears off Kim Jong becomes forgotten and the capitalist ideology will take over, as in Vietnam. It just takes time, patience and tact waiting for it to happen. And the South Korean economy will benefit the most, from additional sources of cheap labour.......
I completely agree with you; RF, very good point
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)