USS Olympia to be scrapped

The warships of today's navies, current naval events, ships in the news, etc.
Hylander6

USS Olympia to be scrapped

Post by Hylander6 »

Hello,
I am new to your forum, so please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong topic area.
I recently recieved a History Channel Magazine in which there was a very disturbing article talking about the sad shape the USS Olympia is in. The article said that it would cost approx. 1.2 million to recondition her. With money in short supply, it stated that she would be scrapped or sunk as a dive site.
I am appalled! We keep letting our naval heritage sink into oblivion. I was very active in trying to save the USS Cabot before she was scrapped a few years ago. Except for the IJS Mikasa, and the HMS Warrior, she is the the only surviving Warship of her era.
Anyone else have anything more?

Chris
Bgile

Re: USS Olympia to be scrapped

Post by Bgile »

No, sorry. I think Olympia is more important in many ways than the modern battleships, since we have several of those and I'm sure Olympia would cost much less in the long run because she is so much simpler. One of the greatest tragedies along those lines was when they took USS Oregon from her museum location and sent her to the Pacific to be used as an ammo barge in WWII. Just incredible. It wasn't for lack of money, just misguided patriotism.
savetheolympia

Post by savetheolympia »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Perry, and im a student at Cherry Hill East in Cherry Hill, NJ which is right near Philadelphia. My AP History class was learning about the Spanish American War when we discussed the battle at Manila Bay and became inspired. Consequently, we have started a Save the Olympia organization and have been petitioning for the past few weeks. Our goal is to gain public and media attention so we can lobby to congress. Thus far, we have gotten upwards of 3000 signatures and are still progressing. The link to our website is :http://www.savetheolympia.org

If you could print out a petition and bring it to your friends and family, then send it back to the PO box marked on the petition, it would be much appreciated.

Additionally, If anyone has any talents or expertise that you think you can would be able to help contribute to our organization, please email savetheolympia@aol.com

Thanks, Perry
Hoodoo

Post by Hoodoo »

Please see http://oldhoodoo.wordpress.com/

I am trying to keep abreast of the current Olympia status. Go down the categories on the right for navigation....you will know what most folks now.
You are doing a very good thing. Dr. Dave Winkler of the US Naval Institute is looking or an existing website to work with.

DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP.

After you read the blog, contact me. I think this effort needs general national awareness and it is not happening yet.

alsumrall2001@yahoo.com