Royal Navy - The Final Insult?

The warships of today's navies, current naval events, ships in the news, etc.
Rick Rather

Royal Navy - The Final Insult?

Post by Rick Rather »

Diamond Jubilee: The Queen no longer rules the waves - Telegraph

Do they think that there are no longer threats to their overseas possessions or trade routes?
Do they assume the Yanks will cover any contingency?
Or do they just not care any more?
Just because it's stupid, futile and doomed to failure, that doesn't mean some officer won't try it.
-- R. Rather
RF

Re: Royal Navy - The Final Insult?

Post by RF »

Basically the last two.

It isn't the Queens' fault. Britains political leaders no longer truly regard Britain as an independent country, but as part of the European Union. As such baling out the Euro and bankrolling the European Union is much more important than defence, which is tied to NATO and the EU foreign and defence policies.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

Quite a shame when one thinks that for a century or more, the Royal Navy set the standard by which other powers compared theirs.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
richtea

Post by richtea »

Ever since the Second World War, governments have cut back our armed forces and now we are at the stage where the Navy don't have enough ships to put on a decent regatta.
Our Army after the latest round of cuts will have a strength of approx. 82,000 men/women,
that is not even enough personnel for a Corps.
( There used to be 3 Corps in an Army )
I despair.
Regards
Richard
SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM
RF

Post by RF »

Voters in Britain do have the power COLLECTIVELY to stop this trend by kicking out the current crop of traiterous politicians and electing new politicians by voting for other political parties. I already do - but then that is just one vote. And over 40% of the electorate in Britain doesn't vote in any election.......
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Rick Rather

Post by Rick Rather »

40%?! Looxury! :wink:

Over here it's tough to get half of the voting-age public out for a presidential election. Mid-terms get maybe half that, and local elections may bring out 10%. That's how we wind-up with these crea-tards getting medieval on our schools' science books. I'll say this for fundamentalist troglodytes: They are politically organized. They don't ask people to think - just vote.
Just because it's stupid, futile and doomed to failure, that doesn't mean some officer won't try it.
-- R. Rather
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

Our Army after the latest round of cuts will have a strength of approx. 82,000 men

That is an interesting step backwards. That would mean the British Army is being reduced in size to about what it was in 1775.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Dave242

Post by Dave242 »

RF wrote:Voters in Britain do have the power COLLECTIVELY to stop this trend by kicking out the current crop of traiterous politicians and electing new politicians by voting for other political parties.
Yes they do, but as we see today they would rather vote for a party who will give them the most bribes. Unfortunately defence of the realm is not on most peoples minds today. Rather whats in it for me, or should i say my pockets.

Dave