USS INTREPID

The warships of today's navies, current naval events, ships in the news, etc.
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

USS INTREPID

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

Another attempt will be made at high tide (in about 15 minutes) to free the USS INTREPID http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/05/uss.in ... index.html

.......was towed free and is moving now http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... M&refer=us
Ulrich
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

For how long will the INTREPID will be out for repairs? I was planning to take my son to see it next year but it seems to be imposible now.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
MJQ
Supporter

Post by MJQ »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:For how long will the INTREPID will be out for repairs? I was planning to take my son to see it next year but it seems to be imposible now.
According to the Intrepid's Website, she won't reopen until the fall of 2008.
Martin
Karl Heidenreich

Very bad news for me. I was hoping to be in NY for summer 2008. Now I´ll have to wait until INTREPID is open, because my idea was to go there and make the trip to Camden, NJ, to visit the USS New Jersey.
Sir Winston Churchill
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

You may be able to see the Intrepid at the shipyard in Bayonne, NJ. Also, I hear rumors that the JFK may soon become a museum ship (Boston?), but the decommissioning etc. may take longer than the repairs on the Intrepid. If you come to NYC at the end of May, there is an annual FLEET WEEK with many active ships and carriers to board and visit! http://efferential.net/FW6.htm
http://www.fleetweek.navy.mil/
Ulrich
MJQ
Supporter

Post by MJQ »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:Very bad news for me. I was hoping to be in NY for summer 2008. Now I´ll have to wait until INTREPID is open, because my idea was to go there and make the trip to Camden, NJ, to visit the USS New Jersey.
Honestly, the Intrepid isn't the museum she used to be. She used to have a focus on her rich past, with displays of aircraft and models, but no more. I was on her last year with my son, and was sort of dispirited by what I saw. Our local NJ hobby club used to build models for displays there, but they are moving in some other direction now.

The New Jersey is a pretty good museum. She's about 2.5 hours south of NYC. There is also the Battleships Massachussetts and the heavy cruiser Salem about 4-5 hours north of NYC, so if you can't see the Intrepid, there are other naval museums worth seeing in the NorthEast USA.
Martin
Karl Heidenreich

MJQ:
Honestly, the Intrepid isn't the museum she used to be. She used to have a focus on her rich past, with displays of aircraft and models, but no more. I was on her last year with my son, and was sort of dispirited by what I saw. Our local NJ hobby club used to build models for displays there, but they are moving in some other direction now.
I was on Intrepid in Febuary 2002 and there were a lot of planes exhibiting on her deck and a F-14 in the Hangar with many video displays of Intrepid´s history, also scale models of Yamato and Arizona and a Avenger torpedo-bomber plane with George Bush´s name on it. Apart there was a Submarine called Growler alongside Intrepid and a destroyer with a gun called "Big Paul". That´s what I was expecting to show my son.
Anyway, what are they doing to her?

Best regards.
Sir Winston Churchill
MJQ
Supporter

Post by MJQ »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:MJQ:
I was on Intrepid in Febuary 2002 and there were a lot of planes exhibiting on her deck and a F-14 in the Hangar with many video displays of Intrepid´s history, also scale models of Yamato and Arizona and a Avenger torpedo-bomber plane with George Bush´s name on it. Apart there was a Submarine called Growler alongside Intrepid and a destroyer with a gun called "Big Paul". That´s what I was expecting to show my son.
Anyway, what are they doing to her?

Best regards.
Repairs, refit, repaint - she hasn't been in a drydock in 25 years. They are also going to do some work to open up new areas of the ship for display. Additionally, the pier need to be completely rebuilt - that will take longer than the work on the ship.

The full scale replicas of the planes are gone - they were actually tossed into the water as artificially reefs - the museum had no more use for them and couldn't find another museum to take them.
Martin
Karl Heidenreich

MJQ:
The full scale replicas of the planes are gone - they were actually tossed into the water as artificially reefs - the museum had no more use for them and couldn't find another museum to take them.
:(

I would gladly, but very gladly, took some of them to my house (risking a divorce all right. As a matter of fact if I build some more models I believe I will have to sleep in the car´s backseat or with my Huskie) even if I have to pay the transport from NY to Costa Rica. What a sad news.
Sir Winston Churchill
Summoner

Post by Summoner »

Karl - Though I haven't been there in years, I highly recommend visiting Battleship Cove in Fall River, Massachusetts. Not only do you get to see the battleship, but also the WWII submarine USS Lionfish and the destroyer USS Joseph P. Kennedy Jr. Check out their site at http://www.battleshipcove.com.

As a Boy Scout, I have fond memories of the place, as we used to have overnight trips where we could sleep in the same bunks as the sailors did.

Of course, if you still want to see some aircraft, I recommend visiting the New England Air Museum in Windsor Locks, CT. It's about halfway between NYC and Fall River, MA. Their website is http://www.neam.org. They have many excellent exhibits, as well as open cockpit days! The newest renovation was the B-29 Superfortress. If you go to their website, you can see the types of planes they have on display. Plus, it's literally right next to Bradley International Airport!

While I know you would need to factor in air fare, hotel and car rental cost, I'm of the opinion that you could visit both of those places AND USS New Jersey in the span of a 3-day weekend. Heck, if you were willing to wait until the Intrepid returned to NYC, you could make a good week out of it!

Hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in helping you visit my neck of the woods.
Karl Heidenreich

Re: USS INTREPID

Hey, isn´t Intrepid back yet to New York?
oifvet23

Re: USS INTREPID

Post by oifvet23 »

yes it is back and opens officially in november