WWII Victory Claim

Non-naval discussions about the Second World War. Military leaders, campaigns, weapons, etc.
aurora

Re: WWII Victory Claim

Post by aurora »

I'm afraid that you and I are at odds on this one OpanaPointer. The Soviet advance and ultimate capture of the German capital was virtually unopposed by their allies. In an effort to avoid a diplomatic issue, United States Army General of the Army Dwight Eisenhower had ordered his forces into the south of Germany to cut off and wipe out other pieces of the Wehrmacht and to avoid the possibility that the Nazi government would attempt to hold out in a National Redoubt in the Alps.

However, the failure of Operation Market Garden in late 1944 may have played a key role in this decision????.The western Allies' decision to leave eastern Germany and the city of Berlin to the Red Army - honouring the agreement they made with the Soviet Union at Yalta - eventually had serious repercussions as the Cold War emerged and expanded in the post-war era.

NB. It was rumoured that Operation Market Garden had been compromised by the OSS and their Nazi counterparts via a deal which kept the Americans in the lead in NW Europe-with the accent on RUMOUR
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

I didn't say that's what happened, I said that's what he was taught.
aurora

Post by aurora »

I stand corrected-I picked up the latter part of your statement out of context
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

aurora wrote:I stand corrected-I picked up the latter part of your statement out of context
Easy to do with my posts. They're either very terse or heavily verbose, depending on which drugs are currently dominant.