High Hitler???

Non-naval discussions about the Second World War. Military leaders, campaigns, weapons, etc.
Ramius

High Hitler???

Post by Ramius »

I saw a show on the History Channel a few months ago claiming that our favorite naval strategic mastermind was on crack :lol: Any comments on this matter with the credibility of this statement (although I will believe it any day) would be nice...
lwd

Post by lwd »

Probably not crack per se. I think that's a relatively modern form. However cocaine and for that matter opiates were very common in the late 1800's and early 1900's both as over the counter medicines and as doctor administered pain killers. Coca Cola was originally a patent medicine that I think contained Cocaine at least in trace amounts (this could be urban legend). He could have been introduced to them in a number of ways and of course once he was fuhrer no one would say he couldn't have them. That said I don't know how much evidence if any there is that he did. I do remember one of my uncles got a pain killer proscribed that had cocaine in it. He had inhaled some smoke from burning brush that included poison ivy. He took one of the pills then flushed the rest because he didn't trust himself to take a second.
RF

Post by RF »

It is believed that Hitler was given a variety of soft drugs by the two doctors who treated him, but I don't find the claim about crack to be credible.

After 1933 Hitler never submitted himself to formal medical examination, so there is little that was done in the way of medical records. From observations of Hitler during WW2 gleaned from interrogation of his associates it is beleived Hitler had a number of ailments including early stage Parkinsons Disease and deteriorating eyesight. It has been speculated that he might have had syphillis.

It has also been speculated that Hitler was asexual and also that he was homosexual. There is no conclusive evidence of either.
However there is a great deal of incidental evidence derived from the late 1920's and early 1930's concerning the suicide of Hitler's niece. In 1943 the OSS interrogated Otto Strasser, brother of Gregor Strasser (murdered by the SS during the ''Night of the Long Knives'' in 1934 and a founder of the Nazi Party) who at the time was living in exile in Montreal, Canada. Otto Strasser alleged sexual abuse by Hitler of his neice, combined with acts of sado-masachism, speculating that was the cause of her suicide. While Otto Strasser may not be regarded as an impartial witness, he did know Hitler's neice well and he found out about the nature of her relationship with Hitler when he questioned her.
The OSS used the interrogation as part of an effort to build up a psychological profile of Hitler - the first ever done. The findings were made public some ten years ago.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Ramius

Post by Ramius »

I knew he had Parkinsons, that's why in most latter footage of him he is holding something in his left hand. I said crack in a general term to describe drugs that would be illegal today, but my point is I am surprised that any country would allow a doped up leader, any hint and they would be kicked out of Presidency in the US. :lol: Although that makes me wounder why Bush is still in office...
lwd

Post by lwd »

Ramius wrote:..., but my point is I am surprised that any country would allow a doped up leader, any hint and they would be kicked out of Presidency in the US.
Attitudes to drugs change considerably over time. Remeber Nicotine, caffine, and alchohol are all drugs. Almost any drug can help in some circumstances just as they can be leathal in others. Didn't Clinton admit to some college use? I think Bush had an alchohol problem at some point as well.
Ramius

Post by Ramius »

Really? :lol: I was joking about Bush on drugs, I thought he just didn't have a high IQ :lol:
RF

Post by RF »

You don't get into the White House by being thick, as I am sure Dan Quayle would agree.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
lwd

Post by lwd »

RF wrote:You don't get into the White House by being thick, as I am sure Dan Quayle would agree.
Wow I think you've just set a record for the number of ways a sentance can be interpreted and almost all involve humorous slamms at people or institutions that need it..... Well done. :)
Karl Heidenreich

Re: High Hitler???

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

How can we translate, exactly in it´s nazi meaning: Sieg Heil? When I see it in documentaries it seems, well, quite fool...
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill