Astrology and WWII Leaders

Non-naval discussions about the Second World War. Military leaders, campaigns, weapons, etc.
RF

Re: Astrology and WWII Leaders

Post by RF »

Points taken, what I mean't by proper (and on reflection perhaps its not quite the right word to use) was the technological base which enables outputs of food to be massively increased over the same area in production, through the use of chemical fertilisers, pesticides, machinery etc. developed since the agrarian and industrial revolutions.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Listen, sorry to interdict your esoterical thoughts but something has been brought to my attention thanks to this thread:

Have you noticed how religions or beliefs that are given birth in the dessert became the greatest and most important ones? Those that came from cold enviroments or jungles are, or small or forgotten. Only those of the dessert get hold of people: Islam, Judaism and Christianity as those surviving now.

Best regards,

Karl
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

And from one area of the world, the near east....
lwd

Post by lwd »

Where did Buddism or Hindism start?

One can consider Judaism, Christianity, and Islam to be the same religion after all they claim to follow the same god and all claim the "old testement" (using it's Christian name) as a source document. Was the middle east a desert at the time Judaism became a religion? Remember Egypt was the grain basket of Rome up until several hundred years AD.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

lwd:
Where did Buddism or Hindism start?

One can consider Judaism, Christianity, and Islam to be the same religion after all they claim to follow the same god and all claim the "old testement" (using it's Christian name) as a source document. Was the middle east a desert at the time Judaism became a religion? Remember Egypt was the grain basket of Rome up until several hundred years AD.
You are right (I´m afraid so... :D just a joke!). I was thinking precisely in that (Hinduism and Buddaism) but even as numerous as they are (here, in Trinidad there are a lot of hindu) those are "regional religions": both of them circunscribe themselves to an area of Asia and the far they got, as a universal religion, I think was Japan (and if I´m wrong please correct me). But the "dessert born religions", which seems to me that are likely the same they push all frontiers and are expanding (well, not the Jews, but they started the whole monoteistic thing).
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
lwd

Post by lwd »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:...But the "dessert born religions", which seems to me that are likely the same they push all frontiers and are expanding (well, not the Jews, but they started the whole monoteistic thing).
Early Judaism was not particularly monotheistic and some of the native American and steppe people's "great spirit" religions might be considrer monotheistic. Where Islam and Christianity are different from most other religions is their insistence that they are the "correct" religion and that everyone should worship "correctly". So is it the desert or just the nature of this one religion? Hard to tell from a sample size of one.

For a modern religion that isn't connected to the above but shares some of it's traits look at Scientology.
tnemelckram

Post by tnemelckram »

To me astrology is a mixed bag.

The daily horoscopes are bunk. If you compare several of them for the same sign on a particular day you see that they are inconsistent. Sometimes you see the opposite among several and overall they are inconsistent. If you look at just one, often all 12 signs say the same thing with just the words changed. Totally useless.

The personality types and behaviors for the various signs seem to have some merit. Unlike the daily horoscopes, among various sources these seem to be reasonably consistent in a very general sense. This broad consensus suggests that there is at least some method to it. The differences are very subtle when you apply them to people. You have to compare people that you interact with frequently (such as a family member, relative or close friend), have known for a long time (say more than ten years) and shared a wide variety of experiences with (good, bad, or indifferent). When you do so, it seems that the idiosyncrasies of their birth signs are slightly more frequent or pronounced, but not exclusive, because everyone in the group exhibits those same idiosyncrasies from time to time and to some degree. The bottom line is that birth sign traits aren't useful or helpful when dealing with people because even if you manage to detect some difference, it will be insignificant and inconsequential.
lwd

Post by lwd »

The problem with this sort of thing is that people have a tendency to find what they are looking for.
RF

Post by RF »

Or imagine that they find what they are looking for....