Would Japan abandon Germany if...

Non-naval discussions about the Second World War. Military leaders, campaigns, weapons, etc.
BlackBirdZGTR

Would Japan abandon Germany if...

Post by BlackBirdZGTR »

The war in the pacific was going in their favor? Say if hypothetically Japan has successfully isolated Australia by capturing Port Moresby, kicking the US out of New Caledonia, Fiji and Samoa as a result the only major military bastion they have left in the Pacific is Hawaii by mid 1943. As a result of high military casualties and a rapid diminish of public moral, the United States sits down with Japan to work on an armistice, but the United States insists on Japan leaving the Tripartite pact if they desired an armistice. Would Japan even have a second thought about abandoning Germany if it meant no more war with the United States?
RF

Re: Would Japan abandon Germany if...

Post by RF »

No.

The Japanese agenda on the signing of this alliance in September 1940 was to gain the ''inurance policy'' of Germany going to war with the US if Japan did. That was achieved on 11 December 1941, the day Hitler and Mussolini declared war on the US.
If the US agreed Japanese armistice terms, the Tripartite Pact is redundant, Japan has no further need of Germany. Indeed it might suit Japan if the US then went on to beat Germany.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

Looking again at the original post, the scenario of US-Japanese peace talks in 1943 might be more likely in a scenario in which the Japanese had instead of isolating Australia as detailed they had in 1942 won the Battle of Midway and immediately followed up by an invasion of Hawaii. Holding Hawaii in the face of unsuccessful US counter-attacks might well have led to a separate peace.
BlackBirdZGTR

Post by BlackBirdZGTR »

If they could of done it, it would of completely crippled any means for the US to project itself in the pacific... IF Japan had the ability to do so though.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Japan could have never, ever, had the capacity to invade Hawai and maintain it´s few logistical resources intact for long. As a matter of fact a Hawaian invasion could have suit good the USN.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

I was suggesting an invasion of Hawaii on the basis that Japan concentrates on just this front. If (and I realise that this is a very big ''if'') the war in China was over and no campaign in New Guinea or Guadalcanal Japan could have concentrated everything on the Central Pacific front I think logistically it could have been done. If US submarines had to operate from California because PH was in Jap hands they would have been far less effective in interdicting Japanese shipping in home waters or even in proximity to Hawaii, especially if Jap subs were contrated in turn off the US west coast and Panama.