Revisionist tendencies and Ambrose Sindrome

Non-naval discussions about the Second World War. Military leaders, campaigns, weapons, etc.
Byron Angel

Re: Revisionist tendencies and Ambrose Sindrome

Post by Byron Angel »

VeenenbergR wrote:Karl, why do those guys never agree with your arguments, while I always easily understand your points of view.
It is you against the others...... like Germany against the rest of the major powers.....
Is the US today friendly and understanding towards Germany? Are they real allies? according to Hollywood clearly not. Germans are always portrayed as loosers..
The same question about the Russians but then the opposite: are they still enemies? Which proof is there that the Russians have sympathy for Germany? Is Kaliningrad returned to their former owners? Nope.
Why is it that Germany after pleading guilty against itself for 65 years now, frantically rebuilding all of Germany with a kind of self-hatred (= modern) architecture, recontructing only a handfull of historic buildings (and even then with modern Foster additions intentionally leaving away the quadriga's, statues..) with NO single official commemmoration to their own gigantic losses of 7 million+ fallen (most soldiers probably murdered or shot after surrendering) and (still) missing......even after a 60 years still has no real friends in the world? They were noteven invited at D-day and think of the 75.000 fallen young boys there for their fatherland......most of them mislead by propaganda.....

..... Good God! Don't take creatively bankrupt and morally cowardly Hollywood as being representative of the feelings of the American public; President Reagan's appearance at the ceremony honoring German war dead moved me deeply. It was IMO a true and honest gesture of reconciliation and it made me proud to be an American citizen.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

VeenenbergR :

I do believe that in this particular case alecsandros is quite right, this can be easily and disastrously misinterpreted because can slip into the ideological and war crimes issue which is beyond the scope of this forum or this webpage. So, let´s try to discuss this without any ideological heading.

I know what you are talking about and, if reviewed, it goes earlier than WWII all the way to WWI and beyond. Germany as a nation is a phenomena that is offensive to many western nations. How Germany was born? By destroying the French Empire of Napoleon III. And to many that´s a crime per se because there is a good deal of admiration in the West for everything french. How Germany became a power? By printing in their products "made in Germany" because the British forced them to do so in order to show where "inferior" products came... only to get the "best" quality perception from the consumers. It´s obvious that Germany search of it´s own colonial posesions and extra maritime comerce was very bad seen by many... then there is WWI. Germany´s doing? Not more than the French or the Russians or even the British. OK, OK, Kaiser Willy wasn´t the ideal leader and his handling of things was not the best, but neither it was the management of more "profesional" heads of state that praised themselves of being "Master of the Universe". Was the German Empire tyrannical in comparison to the Russians or the British? Maybe it was much the same as the British and much better than the Russians. But the general historical perception is that of an evil German Empire that raped Belgium.

Then came something that is, I believe, it´s what really upsets many, specially in Europe. A subdeveloped and bankrupt Germany in 1932 was a serious concern to the "winning" of WWI in 1936. They beat the commies in the Spanish Civil War when the democracies stood helpeless uncapable of understanding what happened. In 1938 a social failure as Adolf Hitler was capable of giving chills to the British and the French and had his way beating "professional" diplomats that studied at Oxford and can eat lunch with four sets of forks. In 1939 Germany invaded Poland with an Army that is far from what it become in 1941-1942 and the British and French can´t did anything about it. Then Denmark, Holland and Norway one step ahead of the allies with not that great amount of troops. Of course it cames the big prize: France defeated again. This time in record time. The British defeat of the Luftwaffe confirmed, somehow, the continental roll of the Germans who then decided to invade Russia. It took four more years for three empires, USA, British and Russia, almost half of the world surface and population and almost all the wealth and natural (oil) resources to beat a country a little bigger than Texas without ZERO natural resources.
No wonder it´s important to came with all kind of stuff proving that the Germans were not that proficient. It´s offensive that a country in which a match box costs millions of marks in 1930 was defeating the profesional armies of the world ten years later.
Of course a way to throw mud on the memory of millions of brave German fighters is the Holocaust, because it´s easy to merge the image of the Wehmarch´s branches to those Concentration Camps SS criminals. People don´t care, the youth don´t care: they go to the movies and see Inglorious Bastards and believe that´s history, or U 571 or those cheap documentaries of History Channel where they see an episode of Air Aces and come out believing Gregory "Pappy" Boyington was the maximum air ace of WWII. There were no Me-262 nor Prien´s U 47 nor Bismarck nor Tigers, there were only "French Maquis" defeating single handed criminal Germans. And there was no war in the East, only a notion of a campaing that the Germans lost to a miracle winter in 1941 taking that way the reality that it was the Russians those that finally destroyed the Third Reich with their masses and costly sacrificy.
So, there is the reason, VeenenbergR , there is the reason. Ambrose Syndrome.

Byron Angel:
.... Good God! Don't take creatively bankrupt and morally cowardly Hollywood as being representative of the feelings of the American public; President Reagan's appearance at the ceremony honoring German war dead moved me deeply. It was IMO a true and honest gesture of reconciliation and it made me proud to be an American citizen.
You are right, Byron, quite right. But bankrupt and cowardly is just a way to see it. There is purpose in that. A guy, which is not idelogically "friendly" to me, Oliver Stone, mentioned today something odd: "Hitler was an easy scapegoat". Read it, is all over internet. He is right in that sense, at least. Not saying Hitler´s crimes were not true. They were true, of course. But is the easy way out: blame Hitler and the Germans for everything, make them Darth Vader and the Evil Galactic Empire (Have you seen Star Wars and the start of A Bridge Too Far when Rundsted get´s into his HQ: it the same scene with the same music!).

Your mention of what Reagan did move me, too. No one like him: the greatest democratic leader the world ever had and a pragmatist! No wonder why his memory is hated by the left wing in Latin America. Back to topic: Reagan was a morally superior man which is why he honored the 7 million German dead. And that is why America is such a great country, because it´s capacity of putting men like him as leaders. How much he is missed and how much he is needed. RIP hero!

Byron is right, no doubt, we cannot confuse what stupidities Hollywood mades to what the average american knows and feels. But liberal education is changing things, potraying distorted lies to the young. In a time, Byron, Hollywood will be reality for million of afirmative action educated generations.

As Genda says, my preaches are boring. If that´s so, I ask forgiveness.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
mkenny

Post by mkenny »

There are frankly some very weird views being expressed here. There is no 'hatred' of Germany. How can someone living thousands of miles away have any idea of modern day Europe?
I note the resurfacing of the 'clean' Wehrmacht myth (it was all the fault of a few SS Gaurds not the brave Waffen SS, the mistakes were made by Hitler, poor outnumbered Germany, could have won a fair fight ect, ect ect.)
The objects of your schoolboy crush brought death destruction and misery to the world and the Wehrmacht was the tool used to get hold of the MILLIONS of civilians MURDERED by the Nazis. The Army was complicit, was used to round up the civilians and took part in a number of war crimes. You can not possibly take these darker aspects out of the picture so you can lie back and dream of IR Tigers and Me 262's vanquishing the Soviet hordes.
We can only be thankful that this Army was crushed.

mkenny

Post by mkenny »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:[Your mention of what Reagan did move me, too. No one like him: the greatest democratic leader the world ever had and a pragmatist! No wonder why his memory is hated by the left wing in Latin America. Back to topic: Reagan was a morally superior man which is why he honored the 7 million German dead.
Was it Reagan or Joan Quigley who was running the USA during his tenure?

"Quigley states, "I was responsible for timing all press conferences, most speeches, the State of the Union addresses, the take-offs and landing of Air Force One…. I picked the time of Ronald Reagan's debate with Carter and the two debates with Walter Mondale, all extended trips abroad, as well as the shorter trips and one-day excursions, the announcement that Reagan would run for a second term, and briefings for all the summits except Moscow." Quigley also claims credit for influencing the president's favorable view of the Soviet leader Gorbachev, whose astrological chart indicated a genuine reformer."

Star Spangled Banner or Star's Shaping Behaviour?
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

mkenny wrote: Was it Reagan or Joan Quigley who was running the USA during his tenure?

"Quigley states, "I was responsible for timing all press conferences, most speeches, the State of the Union addresses, the take-offs and landing of Air Force One…. I picked the time of Ronald Reagan's debate with Carter and the two debates with Walter Mondale, all extended trips abroad, as well as the shorter trips and one-day excursions, the announcement that Reagan would run for a second term, and briefings for all the summits except Moscow." Quigley also claims credit for influencing the president's favorable view of the Soviet leader Gorbachev, whose astrological chart indicated a genuine reformer."

Star Spangled Banner or Star's Shaping Behaviour?

..... Under her cover as the Reagan's astrologer, Joan Quigley served as crypto-president of the United States from 1982 to 1988 and was responsible for all the most momentous events of the Reagan administration. We know this to be a fact because no one would lie about such things in a book. She took over the post from mother Lillian Carter, who had secretly controlled all the political and diplomatic strings of her son Jimmy Carter. Before that, it was Henry Kissinger. Being of German extraction, Kissinger was clearly a fascist intent upon the destruction of civilization as we know it to clear the way for a global 4th Reich.

... and there you have it: the secret political history of the United States of America in one paragraph.

Byron
mkenny

Post by mkenny »

Nothing can change the fact decisions of great importance were made using the position of Mars and Jupiter!!!!!!!
I note the truth about the invovement of the German Army in the crimes of Hitler brought out an absurd strawman about Kissinger.
He was Jewish and his family had to leave Germany in 1938. Ironic that this man would have been put to death by the institutuion being (indirectly) defended by the use of his name..
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:VeenenbergR :
So, there is the reason, VeenenbergR , there is the reason. Ambrose Syndrome.
I think a good connection can be found between the Ambrose Syndrome and the world of psychiatry: in the latter, amnesia is a condition which selectively or completely erases fragments of memory, particularly shamefull, disgracefull or apparently irational ones. The Amrbose Syndrome can be explained as a step towards historical amnesia, precisely because of the way in which the Germans were finaly defeated (mentioned by Karl previously).

However, the big problems that concern me for some time are not related to it: there will always be a difference between well-informed people (and that constantly keep themselves informed) and the others. For the others Ambrose Syndrome can easily morph into a full-state denial, a complete amnesia and a total replacement of the German combat performance by skewed-up statistics, complete relativisation of battles and ultimately futile discussions about how much luck the Germans had (early war).

No, the big problem is not hystorical amnesia, I think. The big problems are darker and much more sinistre than the German death-camps, Gestapo torture prisons or even Nazi/Stalinist genocides.

Have you ever wondered about the sources of funding for the rejuvenation of a war-ravaged Germany? About the technology delievered by Ford and General Motors to the 3rd Reich? About the Swiss blockade of the Jews refugees and subsequent "disapearance" of their bank accounts? About the ethnicity of the shareholders of IJ Farben?

These and many more are very spikey subjects, with very serious implications, at many levels. I hope some good books will finaly appear in those (and other very controversial) subjects, shedding light uppon the mechanisms that facilitated and governed the development of the Second World War.

All the best,
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

Karl and Veenenberg,

No nation has gone so far as Germany in acknowledging war guilt and officially repudiating the acts of Hitler and the Nazi regime. No nation has gone so far in taking steps to assure that there will be no return of that political pathology. Expectations that the German people must perpetually prostrate themselves before the world to endlessly beg forgiveness are irrational. Hitler, the Nazis, and the war ended sixty five years ago and it is time for the fixation to be retired as well. This is not to say that the experience should by any means be expunged from memory, but the world really needs to get on with life.

Byron
mkenny

Post by mkenny »

alecsandros wrote: and a total replacement of the German combat performance by skewed-up statistics
There is one outstanding statistic. The kill-ratio of German Soldiers to civilians will never be equalled.
Byron Angel wrote: No nation has gone so far as Germany in acknowledging war guilt and officially repudiating the acts of Hitler and the Nazi regime. No nation has gone so far in taking steps to assure that there will be no return of that political pathology. Expectations that the German people must perpetually prostrate themselves before the world to endlessly beg forgiveness are irrational. Hitler, the Nazis, and the war ended sixty five years ago and it is time for the fixation to be retired as well. This is not to say that the experience should by any means be expunged from memory, but the world really needs to get on with life.
Where are all these people claiming they should 'prostate' themselves'?
Who is saying they should beg for forgiveness?
All I see is spurious arguments being introduced whenever historical reality is mentioned.
The men who did the crimes did the time. We have people here who think they were hard done by and they are trying to muddy the waters with claptrap about 'hatred' for Germany. I can't see any.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

mkenny wrote:Nothing can change the fact decisions of great importance were made using the position of Mars and Jupiter!!!!!!!
I note the truth about the invovement of the German Army in the crimes of Hitler brought out an absurd strawman about Kissinger.
He was Jewish and his family had to leave Germany in 1938. Ironic that this man would have been put to death by the institutuion being (indirectly) defended by the use of his name..

..... but Kissinger is GERMAN! Doesn't that automatically make him a crypto Nazi? or at least a fascist by secret sentiment?
A very large segment of the US population is of German extraction. It really concerns me that the USA might be well the next place where Nazism will rear its ugly head. What to do? What do you think?

Oh, and yes, one of crypto-president Quigley's ongoing programs was to have NASA track both Mars and Jupiter and provide hourly position updates to ensure the most accurate possible astrological updates. No decision, including the daily luncheon menu, was taken within the Reagan White House before the M/J position report was consulted. This is clearly an incontrovertible fact because I just told you so. There is no doubt in my mind, and there should not be in yours either I expect, that Joan Quigley secretly ran the United States of America for eight years.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

mkenny wrote:Where are all these people claiming they should 'prostate' themselves'?
Who is saying they should beg for forgiveness?
All I see is spurious arguments being introduced whenever historical reality is mentioned.
The men who did the crimes did the time. We have people here who think they were hard done by and they are trying to muddy the waters with claptrap about 'hatred' for Germany. I can't see any.

..... GREAT! We apparently agree then. The German people can finally end their guilt trip. I'm thrilled.
RF

Post by RF »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:
Germany as a nation is a phenomena that is offensive to many western nations.

As Genda says, my preaches are boring. If that´s so, I ask forgiveness.
Here it is not boring but inaccurate. It is German militarism that is offensive to many western, and eastern nations. Not Germany itself.

Historically France has been the main enemy of Britain, at a time when the Germans were allies of Britain. I don't think the existence of France is offensive to Britain or to me. The French may be an Aunt Sally to the British press, when it suits them, but that doesn't mean we want France anihilated.
Or for that matter Germany.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

Byron Angel wrote:Karl and Veenenberg,

No nation has gone so far as Germany in acknowledging war guilt and officially repudiating the acts of Hitler and the Nazi regime. No nation has gone so far in taking steps to assure that there will be no return of that political pathology. Expectations that the German people must perpetually prostrate themselves before the world to endlessly beg forgiveness are irrational. Hitler, the Nazis, and the war ended sixty five years ago and it is time for the fixation to be retired as well. This is not to say that the experience should by any means be expunged from memory, but the world really needs to get on with life.

Byron
Exactly.
RF

Post by RF »

Byron Angel wrote:[

..... but Kissinger is GERMAN! Doesn't that automatically make him a crypto Nazi? or at least a fascist by secret sentiment?
A very large segment of the US population is of German extraction. It really concerns me that the USA might be well the next place where Nazism will rear its ugly head. What to do? What do you think?
I don't think so. If the US was to go Nazi it would have happened in the 1930's, but of course the American Nazi Party was a complete failure.

Today you have a very powerful Jewish political lobby in the States, plus political correctness and of course Civil Rights. And a ''black'' president.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Gentlemen,

If we have that the Germans lost, according to the official records, some 5,533,000 military deaths plus some 2,700,000 civilian deaths we can do an easy comparation with, let´s say, USA.

USA: Military Deaths are 416,000 and civilian deaths 1,700.

German military deaths were in the order of 1,330% higher than US. German civilian deaths were 158,823% higher than US.

Where are the monuments in Berlin or wherever else giving some kind of recognition for more than 6 million German deaths in the war? Where is the Iwo Jima monument equivalent for the Germans that were in combats such as Stalingrad, Kursk or Lake Balaton? In the US there are hundreds of monuments giving proper recognition to soldiers or actions that took place in WWII.

Where is the recognition for taking the Belgium forts from the air? Or for the guys that took Belgrade with a motorcycle detachment? Where is the monument for Gunther Prien´s Scapa Flow action and a Holocaust like monument for the people murdered at Dresden? Or for the civilians trapped in Berlin when the glorious soviet troops occupied the city? Or the monuments and recognition for the almost million soviet soldiers the US sent back to Stalin against the will of those poor souls that wanted to be kept in the West?

No one openly came today and say that Germany was, in itself, a guilty country, but all the signs point that way.
Last edited by Karl Heidenreich on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill