BMW 801 and Diamler Benz 605 in action- recently.

Non-naval discussions about the Second World War. Military leaders, campaigns, weapons, etc.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

BMW 801 and Diamler Benz 605 in action- recently.

Post by Dave Saxton »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nRQeWrM ... re=related

Its amazing how how down right mean that BMW radial sounds. It sounds like a 5.0 liter Ford with a full race cam! I had no idea how cammed up they were. I had read that the 605 had rather radical cams but the 109 sounds down right tame compared to the 190 here. However, he's not letting that 605 idle very low either and the higher engine speed makes it sound smoother. Maybe it won't even run at too low of engine of engine speed?
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
Pandora

Re: BMW 801 and Diamler Benz 605 in action- recently.

Post by Pandora »

hello, it is a great video to see focke wolf and 109 together, but I dont think that reenactment planes have the real engines.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

These are restored originals with original motors rather than replicas. 109s with Merlins have different cowlings and the exhaust ports are above rather than below. The motor is a 605.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
Mostlyharmless

Post by Mostlyharmless »

Dave Saxton wrote:These are restored originals with original motors rather than replicas. 109s with Merlins have different cowlings and the exhaust ports are above rather than below. The motor is a 605.
I am not an expert but the 109 seems to be an E. It would have had a DB 601A-1 or Aa or possibly a DB 601N if the engine has been chosen to match the airframe. All of those engines have fairly conventional valve timings. It was only with the DB 601E that the sound might have changed towards that of a DB 605. See http://www.enginehistory.org/German/daimler-benz.shtml
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

Yes, the Bf109 is an E type, possibly E4. The following link has a nice video of another E with a battle of Britain history behind it. The aircraft had been the mount of Hans-Joachim Marseille during the battle until damaged and subjected to a forced landing. The aircraft was returned to the Bf Werke where it was repaired and eventually used in Russia during the early phases of Barbarossa as a ground attack fighter bomber. It was damaged again and wound up in a swamp. It was recovered in the late 1990s and the data plate revealed its history. It was restored to flying condition and currently is with Ed Russell's aircraft collection.

White 14 in the video may be the same plane as in the video posted by Dave, but prior to its acquisition by Russell and repainted to the livery it carried when Marseille flew it during BoB. If so it is definitely an E4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUejOouN ... re=related

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

Mostlyharmless wrote:I am not an expert but the 109 seems to be an E.
Expert or not you are correct and I have missed this (And I'm certainly no expert). Yes it would be DB601 and not the 605.

The 605 was used in the re-designed Fand G variants. Here's a pair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXJ2nAQI5sM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnpC_BcK ... re=related

These do have a noticably lopey idle.
The aircraft had been the mount of Hans-Joachim Marseille...
Hi Tom, I know that Duxford/RAF Museum also has at least one JG27 tropical Gs or Fs. I believe that when it was restored in the mid 90's it was given the markings of one of Marseille's ships in Africa for awhile. I don't know if was actually flown by Marseille but it could have been having belonged the Group.