FW190 v others

Non-naval discussions about the Second World War. Military leaders, campaigns, weapons, etc.
lwd

Re: FW190 v others

Post by lwd »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:... If we study (and to do that it is necesary to read and UNDERSTAND) the links I presented on kill ratios with my case (that the FW 190 pilots got higher scores than any USAF ace in WWII) there are three options:

1. The FW 190 was an outstanding fighter with the same or even better perfomance than it's adversaries or...

2. The German pilots were even better than their adversaries, or....

3. Both.

Because if the P 51 or P 47 were better then they would have achieved higher scores than the FW on them.

Cogito ergo sum
Let's apply your logic to another case then. Admitedly the sample size is small but. At PH a very few US fighters made it into the air some that did didn't have any ammo or had limited ammo yet the kill to fighter in flight ration was significantly more than 1:1.
Given the planes we are talking about and their adversaries I don't think any of your options apply. The implication of course is that there are additional options.

I also notice you talk about operational records but that's not the data you posted you posted data about a few LW aces. If you want true operational records you need to post overall loss rations.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

:whistle:
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
aurora

Post by aurora »

THE BUTCHER BIRD
The development of the Mk IX Spitfire forced those who designed the Fw 190 to enhance its speed even more. This resulted in the Fw 190D – 9’s which first saw service in September 1944. This variant had a larger nose that housed a more powerful Junkers Jumo engine that produced 1,770 hp. Another version of the Fw 190D was the Ta 152 – the Ta being in recognition of Kurt Tank who had responsibility for the whole Fw 190 design programme. The Ta 152H-1 had a maximum speed of 472 mph at 41,000 feet and was armed with one 30-mm and two 20-mm guns. However, the war ended before this variant could really prove itself in battle.

By the time World War Two ended, 20,087 Fw 190’s had been built. At its peak twenty-two Fw 190’s were being produced each day. A number of German aces – Otto Kittel, Walter Nowotny and Herman Graf among them – made over 100 kills in a Fw 190. When war in Europe ended, the Luftwaffe had 1,612 Fw 190’s of which 809 were ground attack versions. :ok:
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim