Seafire and Sea Fury

Non-naval discussions about the Second World War. Military leaders, campaigns, weapons, etc.
paul.mercer

Seafire and Sea Fury

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen,
Another question on aircraft engines I'm afraid.
Could you please tell me what engine the Hawker Sea Fury had and what engine the Seafire had? (With it's long nose it looks as if the Seafire may have had a Griffon), but it would be interesting to know.
Thanks once again for your help.
Byron Angel

Re: Seafire and Sea Fury

Post by Byron Angel »

paul.mercer wrote:Gentlemen,
Another question on aircraft engines I'm afraid.
Could you please tell me what engine the Hawker Sea Fury had and what engine the Seafire had? (With it's long nose it looks as if the Seafire may have had a Griffon), but it would be interesting to know.
Thanks once again for your help.

Seafire I - Merlin 45, 50, 55, 46, 50A or 56

Seafire II - Merlin 32, 45 or 46

Seafire III - Merlin 45, 50, 55, 46, 50A or 56

Seafire XV - Griffon VI

Seafire XVII - Griffon VI

Seafire 45 - Griffon 61

Seafire 46 - Griffon 87

Seafire 47 - Griffon 87

B
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Re: Seafire and Sea Fury

Post by Dave Saxton »

The Sea Fury was powered by the Bristol Centarus. This was a radial engine with 18 cylinders. It produced 2,450 peak horsepower for take off. Max level flight airspeed was 460 mph. The Sea Fury was too late to become operational during WWII but did see some action in Korea. Only 100 Sea Fury's were ever built, because as soon as the WWII ended the RN cancelled further production in favor of jet fighters. The Sea Fury design was heavilly influenced by the FW190A.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.