World War II tanks

Non-naval discussions about the Second World War. Military leaders, campaigns, weapons, etc.
dodger2695

World War II tanks

Post by dodger2695 »

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum, but I see everyone here likes to talk about World War II, which is my favorite topic in history. I also like to talk about tanks, especially those from this time period, so if anyone else here is interested in tanks as well, please do not hesitate to talk to me!

I am just going to try a spark a conversation here, so here it goes. My favorite tank and the tank that think was the best tank by far in the entire war was the German Panther tank, or the Mark V. It had sloping armor, which was introduced by the Soviet T-34, and the Panther also carried a very powerful main gun, a 75mm high velocity cannon. Now, I know it is not as powerful as the 88mm found on Tigers, but the 75mm was the second best gun and round out there. Plus, the Panther also had two MG38 machine guns, one in the body next to the driver, and on that was a coax, next to the main gun on the turret, so that gun itself could rotate with the gun. I would like to know what tanks are your favorites or the one you think was the best from the war. Thanks!
RF

Re: World War II tanks

Post by RF »

I think the best tanks of WW2 were the Soviet T-34 and the German tanks that were spawned indirectly from it, especially the Panther (as you mention) and the Tiger tank.
Coupled with the issue of what is ''best'' is the actual numbers of tanks and how they are used. This is important because even the best tanks can be overwhelmed by large numbers of inferior tanks.
One of the many reasons the Heer failed to win on the Russian front is that the Germans did not build enough tanks of all varieties, and that because the economy was not geared to production maximisation in the way that the British, Soviet and American economies were.

The same comments I would also apply to the Luftwaffe and aircraft production.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
aurora

Post by aurora »

The BritishComet tank, mounting the new 77 mm HV gun in a new lower profile and part-cast turret. This gun was effective against late war German tanks, including the Panther and, at most ranges, the Tiger. The tank was widely respected as one of the best British tanks of the war, and continued in service afterwards.

aurora
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim
paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen,
Was there not a German 'King Tiger' which was supposed to be even more powerful?
Also, would the T34, Comet and Tiger be fairly evenly matched, in other word who gets their shot and hit off first will probably be the winner?
paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen,
Was there not a German 'King Tiger' which was supposed to be even more powerful?
Also, would the T34, Comet and Tiger be fairly evenly matched, in other word who gets their shot and hit off first will probably be the winner?
SORRY DOUBLE POST!
RF

Post by RF »

As I have observed above, a key factor in this is the numbers of tanks. I think the Germans had the best tanks of WW2 but they lost, partly because they didn't have enough tanks or panzer divisions. If the Germans had matched the Soviet tank production, if the panzer generals and Waffen SS had been left to organise their battle tactics without constant misdirection from the Fuhrer, then I think the result would have been very different.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

RF wrote:As I have observed above, a key factor in this is the numbers of tanks. I think the Germans had the best tanks of WW2 but they lost, partly because they didn't have enough tanks or panzer divisions. If the Germans had matched the Soviet tank production, if the panzer generals and Waffen SS had been left to organise their battle tactics without constant misdirection from the Fuhrer, then I think the result would have been very different.
My sig elsewhere is a quote from a Panzer trooper: "Our Tiger could kill five of your Shermans. But you always had six."