Hitlers invasion of Russia

Non-naval discussions about the Second World War. Military leaders, campaigns, weapons, etc.
paul.mercer

Hitlers invasion of Russia

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen,
I've often wondered if Hitler had attacked Moscow and the oil fields in the Caucasus instead of getting tied down at Stalingrad, would he have defeated the Russians?
OpanaPointer

Re: Hitlers invasion of Russia

Post by OpanaPointer »

Wasn't Stalingrad on his flank?
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

I think they could have taken Moscow if (big if) they stayed focused. I don't think it would ended the conflict.
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
RF

Post by RF »

The detailed plan for Barbarossa was drawn up by General Alfred Marcks, and I think it was the best plan the Germans had with their available resources. This plan identified Moscow as the key target, with Leningrad a secondary target.

The problem was that the Fuhrer deviated from the plan with his constant interference with day to day operations, and in my view the deviation was fatal.

However the biggest mistake of all was attempting Barbarossa while Britain was still in the war. All German resources were needed for Barbarossa and they were already being dissipated by Churchill's dispersion strategy. For example one of the best panzer generals, Rommel, was in Africa, with substantial Luftwaffe resources in the Med, facing Britain and in the Atlantic.

Had Hitler followed Marcks' plan with a defeated Britain I think it could have succeeded, especially if it had been launched at the end of May rather than late June..
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.