German embassy in Tokyo

Non-naval discussions about the Second World War. Military leaders, campaigns, weapons, etc.
RF

German embassy in Tokyo

Post by RF »

Does anybody have the answers to either of the following:

1) Are there any pictures/photographs of the German embassy building available on the internet?

2) When the American occupation forces moved into Tokyo I gather that they seized all the papers/material held at the embassy, together with all the related material in the possession of the Kempeitai, including that relating to the Sorge espoinage ring.
What eventually happened to this material? Has any of it been publicly disclosed by the US, or is it still kept under wraps by the US military intelligence agencies ie the CIA?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Re: German embassy in Tokyo

Post by RF »

I was wondering if anyone has any info on this.
lwd

Post by lwd »

You may want to ask over at the axis history forum or the IJN one. There are some Japanese that are on those forums and the building may still exist. At the very least they'll have more access to records. Proably some pictures in Japanese news papers but if you aren't fluent in Japanese finding them could be a real pain.
RF

Post by RF »

lwd wrote:.... but if you aren't fluent in Japanese finding them could be a real pain.
That's why I have fought shy of using Jap sources and had hoped there would be something from the German end.

But thanks for your comments anyway.

One point of interest about the embassy according to info from Admiral Wenneker was that the whole of the top floor was taken up by the radio station maintaining enigma contact with Berlin and that only certain personnel had access to that floor.