Pickett's Charge

Armed conflicts in the history of humanity from the ancient times to the 20th Century.
Karl Heidenreich

Re: Pickett's Charge

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

RF:
Gettysburg came too late. Their only real chance was at the very start of the war, and they fluffed it.
Yeah, I identified the oportunities at First and Second Manasas; after the Peninsula Campaign; after Fredricksburg and Chancerllorsville. But I think I must repeat this: a military victory of the Confederacy nearby Gettusburg (Longstreet scenario) do not follow by a colapse of the northern forces, but maybe a civilian-political panic that will allow a peace settlement.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

I doubt it, with Lincoln as President.

But if he had been assasinated at the start of the war, rather than at the end, things might have been different.

Similar situation in late May, early June 1940 in Britain. Plenty of talk of negotiation and surrender by the appeasors in Cabinet, until Churchill put a stop to their activities.....
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

RF wrote:I doubt it, with Lincoln as President.

But if he had been assasinated at the start of the war, rather than at the end, things might have been different.

Similar situation in late May, early June 1940 in Britain. Plenty of talk of negotiation and surrender by the appeasors in Cabinet, until Churchill put a stop to their activities.....
I agree. Lincoln was almost essential when it came to holding the Union together.