French military victories?

Armed conflicts in the history of humanity from the ancient times to the 20th Century.
Karl Heidenreich

Re: French military victories?

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Well, as a matter of fact the French contributed with some understrenght regiments (2 battalions each) to a total of 14 battalions more or less.

But the Germans did also fought, some Hessians for Cornwallis and some under Washington: von Steuben!

As a matter of fact the real role of the French in this episode was at Chesapeake Bay in which they outnumbered the British 19 ships with their own 24 ships. Anyway it was a tactical stalemate. The strategic importance was due to the later operations on land, which were performed by Washington. The British were outnumbered 3 - 1.

Best regards.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
lwd

Post by lwd »

Off Yorktown = at sea = the Chesapeake. The battle may have been a tactical draw but it was a strategic defeat. Since the RN couldn't save him Gentlmena Johnny was forced to surrender. One of the few times in history the RN didn't come through in the pinch.
Karl Heidenreich

Yeah, that´s right. It seems that it was due to the current commander, some guy called Thomas Graves.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

Karl, can I add a post here - the French command ship in the Indian Ocean has just beaten off an attack by Somali pirates and captured five of them. Do you count that as a French military victory?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Karl Heidenreich

RF:

Sorry to disppoint you but I already posted about that huge naval feat. But it never occurred to me to added here. Yes, I think you may...

Best regards,
Sir Winston Churchill