Hans Georg Stiegler

Anything about the crew, families, origins, etc.
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Hans Georg Stiegler

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

I heard from a friend that the BS survivor Mr. Stiegler is not doing so well. He will be 89 on 13.06. 09. I think it would be a good idea for all to send him our best wishes now.

Hans-Georg Stiegler
Eichkamp 25B
23714 Malente
Ulrich
RF

Re: Hans Georg Stiegler

Post by RF »

How many of the Bismarck survivors are still alive? I ask because it was previously stated on this forum that the survivors were now all dead.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Legend

Post by Legend »

I didn't get the idea that Mulleinheim-Reichburg was dead! Or am I completely behind in the times?
AND THE SEA SHALL GRANT EACH MAN NEW HOPE, AS SLEEP BRINGS DREAMS.
RF

Post by RF »

I believe the Baron passed away in 2006? - and had thought there were no more Bismarck survivors still living.
Legend

Post by Legend »

Jeeze, I am behind, by a few years. My apologies friends. Jeeze. So, they are all gone now from this earth?
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

As far as I know there may perhaps be two or three left. Certainly Stiegler is not doing well, but he is alive. You can write to Dieter Heitmann at the Marinekameradschaft "Schlachtschiff Bismarck" to get the info.

Dieter Heitmann
MK Schlachtschiff Bismarck
Weidenkoppel 19
22399 Hamburg
040/60299233
http://www.dmb-lvnord.de/nordlicht/Nord ... 1.2009.pdf
Ulrich
RF

Post by RF »

RF wrote:I believe the Baron passed away in 2006? - and had thought there were no more Bismarck survivors still living.
Legend,

There is a crew roster section to this website which does contain some useful info on Bismarck survivors. I notice that I got it wrong over when the Baron passed away, in fact it was in June of 2003 and not 2006.
Legend

Post by Legend »

Oi..... :oops: :stubborn: :oops:
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

There was very little if anything in the German and international press about the parting of this famous man.

Vielen Dank!
Wir haben folgende Email von Ihnen entgegengenommen:
An DIE WELT
via WWW-Formular
Ulrich H. Rudofsky
2 Brookside Drive
Delmar NY 12054
USA
06. 06. 2003
Thema: Redaktion/WamS
Betreff: Baron Burkhard von Müllenheim-Rechberg

Many do not remember the illustrious survivor of the Battleship Bismarck: Baron Burkhard von Müllenheim-Rechberg who died in Herrsching am Ammersee on 1 June 2003. The German people have lost a great man in Burkhard von Müllenheim-Rechberg. He had the courage to delve resolutely into the analysis of the psychological and political turmoil that many German citizens had to endure, but few were willing to resist. Von Müllenheim-Rechberg did not only believe that it was his duty to serve his country in time of war, but that his ultimate duty was to bare his very own soul in order to alleviate the internal trauma that many Germans felt at the war\'s end, and some still feel today. As a conscientious citizen of a country gone mad, he freely admitted that he was powerless, unwilling, inept and afraid to oppose the Regime. He was telling the truth! And that telling of the whole truth took a remarkable amount of courage that few have. He served his country and humanity well. [Note: Having skimmed several German newspapers of 1-5 June, 2003, I have not found an obituary. I may have missed it.] Ulrich H. Rudofsky Delmar NY USA
Ulrich
RF

Post by RF »

I think that to try and draw a line under the events of the past by queitly letting them fade into history is the option most people in Germany and Japan prefer to do, as it seems to be the least controversial avenue to follow, rather than ''rake up the past.''

In the case of the Baron he did have a fairly distinguished diplomatic career after WW2, Iincluding serving as an ambassador to Zaire. So the lack of an obituary would be surprising.
Speedtrap

Post by Speedtrap »

Legend wrote:I didn't get the idea that Mulleinheim-Reichburg was dead! Or am I completely behind in the times?
I have corresponded with Baron Mullenheim Reichburg and to the best of my knowledge, he passed away several years ago. I was in Munich, and I did have the opportunity to have spoke with him. He was a great man and a person from the old school. I have his letter that he wrote to me framed. The letter was typed on onion type paper and it is beautifully written. His English was perfect.