question about HMS Queen Elizabeth

From the birth of the Dreadnought to the period immediately after the end of World War I.
jyang

question about HMS Queen Elizabeth

Post by jyang »

Dose anyone know after Admiral Beatty took HMS QE as his flag ship of grand fleet in Dec. 1916 whether or not she was still the flag ship of 5th BS? Did Admiral Evan-Thomas move his flag back to HMS Bahram? Thanks!
Kyler

Re: question about HMS Queen Elizabeth

Post by Kyler »

Bahram was Evan-Thomas's flagship at Jutland, the Queen Elizabeth was in port for an overhaul of her condensers if I remember correctly.

Beatty switched from the HMS Iron Duke to the Queen Elizabeth mainly due to him calling it "Jellicoe's Ship"
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
culverin

Post by culverin »

HMS Queen Elizabeth was never the flagship of the 5BS.

From its inception in Oct 1915 and until the final day of the war HMS Barham was the only flagship of the fast squadron.

The 5BS was also the only Grand fleet squadron which comprised solely ships of the one class, the supreme Queen Elizabeths.

When first commissioned the QE was a nominal member of the 4BS, but went straight to the Med. On her return in May '16 she joined the 5BS but went straight into dockyard hands at Rosyth, subsequently missing the big contretemps on the 31st and June 1st.

On completion of her dockyard work, she rejoined the 5BS with her 4 sisters and in Feb 1917 left to become the fleet flagship,Beatty, as such she was unallocated.
A full broadside. The traditional English salute.
Thanks. Sean.
Zaku II

Post by Zaku II »

You will find the answer here http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/tfs/i ... of_Jutland

Short answer, it was only temporary Flagship of the Fifth Squadron after Jutland, when Barham was being repaired.
As the battle goes on we feel stronger, how much longer must this go on.
tone

Post by tone »

Thanks, Lynn.. I was going to post the same (I only recently edited the page you cite).

I wanted to point out that QE was flagship for somewhere between 1-2 months (the Supplements upon which my page is based only really show status quo at the top of the month, which creates a +/- 2 week fuzz in the data).

tone