Royal Navy Super Battleships and Battlecruisers

From the birth of the Dreadnought to the period immediately after the end of World War I.
Steve Crandell

Re: Royal Navy Super Battleships and Battlecruisers

Post by Steve Crandell »

I think it would be very difficult for Scharnhorst to operate in the South Atlantic at all, due to fuel/cruising range issues.
RF

Post by RF »

paul.mercer wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:01 am re AGS, do you think Cumberland could have taken her on by herself - 8 x 8" is quite a lot of firepower against a fairly lightly armoured ship?
Again, I suppose its all down to who hits first and hardest.
That came very close to happening during October 1939 when these two ships (Cumberland on her own) were only a short distance apart - but neither vessel sighted each other.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

Steve Crandell wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:19 pm I think it would be very difficult for Scharnhorst to operate in the South Atlantic at all, due to fuel/cruising range issues.
Uckermark managed to get to Japan in 1942 with the US in the war, so I think a sortie by Scharnhorst in say 1940 supported by Uckermark/Nordmark/ Dithmarschen would have been feasible. The British would then have to consider possible German attack on the Falklands or even South Africa and thus may not be able to concentrate their forces all in the middle of the ocean.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

RF wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:31 pm
Steve Crandell wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:19 pm I think it would be very difficult for Scharnhorst to operate in the South Atlantic at all, due to fuel/cruising range issues.
Uckermark managed to get to Japan in 1942 with the US in the war, so I think a sortie by Scharnhorst in say 1940 supported by Uckermark/Nordmark/ Dithmarschen would have been feasible. The British would then have to consider possible German attack on the Falklands or even South Africa and thus may not be able to concentrate their forces all in the middle of the ocean.
Thank you, RF. I just learned something interesting.

B