Happy Birthday HMS Hood!

From the birth of the Dreadnought to the period immediately after the end of World War I.
paulcadogan

Happy Birthday HMS Hood!

Post by paulcadogan »

93 years ago today, under a shroud of secrecy, HMS Hood slid off the slipway into the Clyde, launched by Lady Hood, widow of Rear-Admiral Horace Hood who perished at Jutland in the fireball of the demise of Invincible - the first battlecruiser ever built.

See this link as well for some interesting historical docoments and more photos:

http://hmshood.com/history/construct/launch.htm

Paul
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
RNfanDan
Supporter

Re: Happy Birthday HMS Hood!

Post by RNfanDan »

....and at the moment she touched the water, a roiling pool somewhere in the North Sea gurgled and bubbled, unseen, emitting a strange sound much like human voices crying out...."not again, not again, not again!" :wink:
simonharley

Post by simonharley »

RNfanDan wrote:....and at the moment she touched the water, a roiling pool somewhere in the North Sea gurgled and bubbled, unseen, emitting a strange sound much like human voices crying out...."not again, not again, not again!" :wink:
I doubt it. The only reason "Hood" was classified as a battle cruiser was because of her speed.

Simon
RNfanDan
Supporter

Post by RNfanDan »

simonharley wrote: I doubt it.
I would hope so... :shock:

The only reason "Hood" was classified as a battle cruiser was because of her speed.
Another story altogether, and one covered ad nauseum for some time now.

Cheers!