Jutland recurrent themes

From the birth of the Dreadnought to the period immediately after the end of World War I.
delcyros

Re: Jutland recurrent themes

Post by delcyros »

The best book on the battle aviable still remains to be:
J.Campbell, Jutland, An Analysis of the Fighting
Ersatz Yorck

Post by Ersatz Yorck »

delcyros wrote:The best book on the battle aviable still remains to be:
J.Campbell, Jutland, An Analysis of the Fighting
I agree! Tarrant's "Jutland - The German Perspective" is also good, and not all abot the Germans.

Castles of Steel is a good read, but contains a number of errors and sweeping statements.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I was disappointed by Tarrant, there isn't nearly as much German perspective in it as I expected. I've given my copy away.

Mike
Ersatz Yorck

Post by Ersatz Yorck »

That is correct, Tarrant is not so much German perspective as one might think from the title. It does use German sources more than most other books. IMHO it is one of the best general histories of the battle, and it has excellent maps. It also passes the standard test for naval histories: It has positions in Latitude and Longitude.
simonharley

Post by simonharley »

All that needs to be said about Tarrant is that he quotes, without quotation marks or attribution, a whole portion of Marder's conclusion about Jutland from "From the Dreadnought to Scapa Flow" Volume III Second Edition. Not very original. I'll stick with the stuff in English from the archives without relying on someone else to muff it up.

Simon
Ersatz Yorck

Post by Ersatz Yorck »

simonharley wrote:All that needs to be said about Tarrant is that he quotes, without quotation marks or attribution, a whole portion of Marder's conclusion about Jutland from "From the Dreadnought to Scapa Flow" Volume III Second Edition. Not very original. I'll stick with the stuff in English from the archives without relying on someone else to muff it up.

Simon
Oh, I didn't know that. That's pretty sneaky. Not good at all. I still liked the book however.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

Ersatz Yorck wrote:
simonharley wrote:All that needs to be said about Tarrant is that he quotes, without quotation marks or attribution, a whole portion of Marder's conclusion about Jutland from "From the Dreadnought to Scapa Flow" Volume III Second Edition. Not very original. I'll stick with the stuff in English from the archives without relying on someone else to muff it up.

Simon
Oh, I didn't know that. That's pretty sneaky. Not good at all. I still liked the book however.

..... One of the redeeming features of Tarrant is that his maps identify areas of lingering funnel and gun smoke which interfered with visibility later in the battle.

B